• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cars for sale with NO price listed...

How about crappy sideways pictures, pictures taken inside a dark & narrow garage and floors that look like they haven't been vacuumed in months. :rolleyes:

My Dad told me once that anything my uncle had was worth more "because he owned it".
Nice guy but it was very true.

My Dad told me once that anything my uncle had was worth more "because he owned it".
Nice guy but it was very true.
Yes I have crossed paths with that type many times. Not worth much if I own it but if they own it , it's priceless.

After decades of buying and selling stuff, the adage usually is 'what you got is worth a lot and what I got isn’t worth ****'. And some prospective buyers will get all superior thinking the seller is on the defense, ready to kneel to sell it. Granted there are those occasions, divorce, needing the cash, owner died, etc. Then IMO, sellers who don’t post a price are either not serious with selling and/or hoping someone will toss them a miracle offer. Having bought and sold many vehicles, I’ve done my homework on their general value range (condition, mileage, options) and have priced accordingly and made offers accordingly. As such, I’m prepped to pass or take. Everyone is looking for a possible steal/deal and has happened here and there.

No price and it’s a ride you’d like to have? Yeah, I’ve mostly walked on them, but have made the call a couple times knowing what the ballpark values are. You want $55,000 huh? Best prices I’ve found the car going for is $35,000. Gee, what am I missing making yours worth the extra $20k? Something like this…

I’ve informed wife and kids what the going rate is for my old ride if I drop before I’d sell it. They have zero interest keeping it. Have over $35k in it to make it like I wanted; but I know what it is and it’s not worth $35k. I said look for $25k and don’t let it go for under $20k if you get impatient, it is worth around $25k all day. I have a photo library on everything done on the car, over 250 photos, so the buyer will know exactly what they’re getting. But being dead, I doubt I’ll care what they sell it for.

No price? I call just to bother them. Ask their price, then say not interested. I think you would get a lot more BS calls if you don't put a price on it ...and that's the point of my call

Whenever I see an advertisement for an item I just might be interested in or need, or a query for make me an offer, with no price listed, my initial reactions are "This just might be a scam" or the seller is fishing for a sucker so he can outrageously price it in hopes the buyer is gullible enough to buy it for that amount. Most sites where one can list an item for sale, require a price to be posted in order for the site to list it for sale and complete the ad posting. I can agree with a lot of the replies here but my red flag is no price posted then no interest...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

I have bought and sold a lot of cars and trucks and I always list a price when selling. To me, that is just how it is done. You have something for sale, then list the price you want. If you don't want to state a price then how about you take it to an auction! Basically that is what you are trying to do but you don't want to pay any auction fees. As others have said, the seller is hoping someone will make a ridiculous offer, that the seller will then gladly accept. Nope, not me, I will call you out on it. None of this, "Well, just tell me what you think it is worth" crap. I will normally get the seller to give an amount. If the seller refuses to give a price, even face to face, then I may throw out a number that won't come back on me, usually much lower than the seller will accept. I have only had it happen one time that the seller thought a minute and then said, "Okay, that is a fair price". He then not only sold me that car but a second that he had stored in a garage. Turned out to actually be a really nice guy, at least to me. It has to be something that I am really interested in to stop for a "no price" car/truck.

I can also see the other side of this when the seller simply does not know what their vehicle is worth. For some reason they do not want to bother looking up similar sales in their area to get a ballpark figure. They just put a for sale sign on it and go from there. Sometimes the first person that stops is going home with it. IMHO

01 NSP2.jpg

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Yeah? Well maybe I want to know just how sensible you might be and whether or not TALKING to you is worth my time.
What is the point of this crap?
Years ago when I owned Mudstains and belonged to the Houston Mustain Owners club a guy had a 66 Fastback for sale and told me 'you can't afford it' when I asked what he wanted for it. Fine. A few months later he answered an ad I had in the local paper for a rallye gauge set for a 66 Mustang. Btw, at the time I already owned 2 Fastbacks. When he showed up he didn't remember me and I didn't say anything...just yet. He liked the gauge set and asked if the clock and tach worked. Told him the tach did but I never hooked up the clock because I didn't care if it worked or not.

He asked if he could plug it in to see it worked. Sure, if you know what wire to plug it into. A couple of minutes later he was making sparks and that's when I told him to get hell out of my car before you burn it to the ground because 'you sure can't afford it'!!! And then that's when he remembered me. He paid me for the guage set and never saw him again....and yeah, I made sure my car was ok before he left. For some reason I have this tendency to run across people who insult me and get the chance to put them in their place without even going out looking for them lol

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Yeah? Well maybe I want to know just how sensible you might be and whether or not TALKING to you is worth my time.
What is the point of this crap?
its like the listings that say make an offer.

Im not pricing your car. Either price or from the beginning. Or you really don't want to sell it and I'm moving on

I, too, immediately ignore ads with no price, snarky attitudes or piss-poor understanding of how to present something you want to sell.
giphy-2684098825.gif

One of the best sales ads ever: A friend called me and told me he had just driven by a '66 or '67 Charger that had just been placed in a front yard with a sign in the windshield that said, "FOR SALE, HEMI." I told him to stop and look. A few minutes later he called back laughing. When he got closer, the sign actually said, "FOR SALE, not a HEMI." Now that guy knew how to get folks to look at his car.

After decades of buying and selling stuff, the adage usually is 'what you got is worth a lot and what I got isn’t worth ****'. And some prospective buyers will get all superior thinking the seller is on the defense, ready to kneel to sell it. Granted there are those occasions, divorce, needing the cash, owner died, etc. Then IMO, sellers who don’t post a price are either not serious with selling and/or hoping someone will toss them a miracle offer. Having bought and sold many vehicles, I’ve done my homework on their general value range (condition, mileage, options) and have priced accordingly and made offers accordingly. As such, I’m prepped to pass or take. Everyone is looking for a possible steal/deal and has happened here and there.

No price and it’s a ride you’d like to have? Yeah, I’ve mostly walked on them, but have made the call a couple times knowing what the ballpark values are. You want $55,000 huh? Best prices I’ve found the car going for is $35,000. Gee, what am I missing making yours worth the extra $20k? Something like this…

I’ve informed wife and kids what the going rate is for my old ride if I drop before I’d sell it. They have zero interest keeping it. Have over $35k in it to make it like I wanted; but I know what it is and it’s not worth $35k. I said look for $25k and don’t let it go for under $20k if you get impatient, it is worth around $25k all day. I have a photo library on everything done on the car, over 250 photos, so the buyer will know exactly what they’re getting. But being dead, I doubt I’ll care what they sell it for.
WI is over run with this mindset of "mine is gold, yours is a heap" when I go to look at buying or selling, respectively.
When you add the level of chebby zealotry on top it really mucks up trying to have a normal market for cars, or especially trucks. At least on the GB area quarter of the state.
When I sold my 2001 Ram Offroad, I had 3 people come tell me I was asking double(give or take, it varied) what I should be because it had like 110k miles on it and "that's when the transmissions go bad". It wasn't bad. No sign of it being bad. I was supposed to cut my price in half because of a theory someone had about the transmission in my truck that ran perfect with low miles and almost no WI rust (this was a few years ago, not 10 or 15!)
I sold it to my brother in law for $2500 bucks. Then I posted that on my ad in giant letters. TWO OF THE TIRE KICKERS actually called me a day later saying "I would have paid that!" I told them "You aren't family, go enjoy your 300,000 mile silverado with half the electronics going bad and no front suspension left, because that is the truck you compared mine to."
My brother in law has put over 60k miles on my old truck so far, he had to change a rusty brake line.

That was the last thing I sold at an attempted market value. Everything else I have posted for about 5-10% less, with "first with cash gets it no crying" and people show up and hand it over.

I have bought and sold a lot of cars and trucks and I always list a price when selling. To me, that is just how it is done. You have something for sale, then list the price you want. If you don't want to state a price then how about you take it to an auction! Basically that is what you are trying to do but you don't want to pay any auction fees. As others have said, the seller is hoping someone will make a ridiculous offer, that the seller will then gladly accept. Nope, not me, I will call you out on it. None of this, "Well, just tell me what you think it is worth" crap. I will normally get the seller to give an amount. If the seller refuses to give a price, even face to face, then I may throw out a number that won't come back on me, usually much lower than the seller will accept. I have only had it happen one time that the seller thought a minute and then said, "Okay, that is a fair price". He then not only sold me that car but a second that he had stored in a garage. Turned out to actually be a really nice guy, at least to me. It has to be something that I am really interested in to stop for a "no price" car/truck.
I've followed this approach as well. But I also went through the no price deal with my current GTX. To summarize a story I've beaten to death on this site, I chased the car for 50 years, after a test drive when I was 16. The last owner had it for nearly 30 years, and had no intention of selling it until 2022. I had made an offer in 2019 that was about 20% over market at the time, and he turned me down. No hard feelings. I bought a Hemi car instead. Three years later, he called me back, ready to sell the car. I repeated the offer, this time he took it, but the number was now market, not above.

How ironic that listing an item with no price actually is likely to generate a LOT of one question inquiries, never to be heard from again.

A- How much for your slant six duster that now has a 360 and the clear coat starting to come off the 1990's paint?

B- 60 thousand.

A-

Auto Transport Service
Back