• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD Carter # A6-4740S Carb - New Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Grabber

Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
The carb is in very good shape.

Both plates free, Dual idle screws - good core

As far as I know fits 1970-71 440

$250 plus shipping

NY State 13618

1688075333519.png
1688075343212.png
1688075354758.png
1688075366854.png
1688075381117.png
1688075391464.png

I'm looking for one of these, but I don't think that's the correct top. Maybe I'm wrong and I welcome correction.

I understand ECS carbs are supposed to have the "internally vented" float bowl vent. This carb appears to have the external vent (circled in red image below):
1688501300214.png

and seems to be missing the vent lever (near the choke pull-off) and the vent nipple connecting to the 3-nipple crankcase breather on the passenger-side valve cover (circled in red image below)
1688501428832.png

This carb may have been altered by a rebuild in its history. Some of the stop screws show some possible wear, and the dangly-tag appears missing.

Last edited:
The carbs I have were all used at one time. I don't see myself ever switching a top not saying someone else might have but that would have been 45 years ago. Who can really say with these parts over that period of time?

Is it possible the car this carb came with was manufactured in a state with different emission standards like a California vehicle?

At the time I was using these carbs I don't think I would have had the knowledge or resources (extra carb) to switch the top. Maybe during a rebuild perhaps like you said but not during the years I had it as a teenager. That's how long I have had the carbs and parts I have. I am not a vendor that collects stuff to sell. These are just parts left over from back in the day that I used at some point.

I will take the carb from storage and get a better look. It looks like to me levers are hanging because the clips fell off but the arms are there from looking at the pictures.

You could be perfectly right. I just don't have the carb expertise to give you a straight answer. I know there are some in Forum that do have some detailed answers and I could post the question if you like.

If the top was switched, would the carb be usable at all for your needs? Could the hole(s) be drilled to accommodate the part(s)? I would think a carb restoration vendor could possibly have the other parts or means to complete the carb they way you like.

The casting looks like it has provisions for the vent, levers and mounting for the solenoid. I'm assuming the solenoid used for an engine that dropped the idle when shut off to prevent run on?

Thanks for the interest. Let me know if anything works for you. In the mean time I don't mind posting the question to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back