• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Carter Carb Expertise - Anyone out there?

You're probably right, and I'm not saying your wrong, @pnora . But when I search epay using "Carter AVS 4966" the first 10 listings I see, all have the ECS internal float bowl vent. What are the odds all 10 of those carbs are wrong? I'm thinking really long odds.
Here is all I can tell you. The factory parts manual tells it like this.

1-The 4740 is listed for the 1970 model year with ECS system, It is referenced under 62 for components. Group 14-40-23 is for the external bowl vent arm This carb does not list a number for an arm.

2-The 4966 is listed for the 1971 model year with no reference to the ECS system. It is referenced under 102 for components. Group 14-40-23 is for the external bowl vent arm.This carb does list using the arm part number 3514509.

I can only tell you what the Factory manual shows. I have the hard text in the shop. You can download the manual at mymopar.

Appreciate your input. I have a 70 manual and will check into it.
I searched like ten 4966s on eBay and they all had the ECS top.
I will look at the manual cause I would like to see what you referenced.

Thanks again for your input and patience

Ok more research tells me this. The visual parts reference in the parts manual shows the 4966 with an external bowl vent. It has a bowl vent and a lever which is internal. It has a actuation linkage on the carbs right side.

Internal bowl vent.jpg

Ok more research tells me this. The visual parts reference in the parts manual shows the 4966 with an external bowl vent. It has a bowl vent and a lever which is internal. It has a actuation linkage on the carbs right side.

View attachment 1490707

Yes I am inclined to believe that cause there is a blue tag on my 4966S. If I swapped the top I probably wouldn't have taken the time to put a tag back on. It is the correct tag too.

The 4966S was supposed to be on the lower performance 440? 350 HP?

Do not confuse 70 model year with 71.In 71 there was no with or without ECS. It appears most carbs were closed vent systems,meaning the vent tube on the choke side of the carb. In 70 there was specific differences between ECS and Non-ECS carbs,the bowl vent set-up being only one thing,jetting and internal parts were different also.
Good call, @charge70 I tried to make that point in one of my discussions. The reason Hemming's Motor News does not cite the 4966 as an ECS carb, was in 1971, they were all, more or less, ECS carbs.

I concur, @pnora what you say matches my observations and research. Well done.

Yes I am inclined to believe that cause there is a blue tag on my 4966S. If I swapped the top I probably wouldn't have taken the time to put a tag back on. It is the correct tag too.

The 4966S was supposed to be on the lower performance 440? 350 HP?
Thing is both carbs should have the right side vent tube. 70 was when equipped with ECS and 71 then all had it.

2-The 4966 is listed for the 1971 model year with no reference to the ECS system.

Agreed. The 4966S is listed as a 1971 carburetor for some 440-4 cars and models.

If you carefully inspect the carburetor list in the 1970-1971 parts book, section 14-30-0, you may observe NONE of the 1971 carburetors have a "with ECS" or "without ECS" designation.

And why is this? I propose it's because ALL the carburetors in 1971 were, more or less, ECS carbs. So there is no need to distinguish this attribute in most other publications, whether or not the 4966 is an ECS carb, because it already is... by default.

I hope my conclusions are justified.

Yeah I misunderstood. I noticed many 4966S carbs were listed on Ebay with ECS. Seems to be a very popular carb but for a Chrysler Low Power. The 4740S I believe was for the R/T HP motors
You are correct on that. The 4966S is the low performance (350hp) carb.

Auto Transport Service
Back