• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Carter Carb Expertise - Anyone out there?

Road Grabber

Local time
3:37 AM
Reaction score
I have a Carter # A6-4740S Carb and need a clarification or just some intel. I know there are some out there that know the details or have studied certain aspects of the Mopar world.....

Please go to this link and give your input as to whether the carb illustrated in the ad is the way it should be or if you think has been changed. I looked at the carb again and some online pictures but nothing definite. Maybe the carb was for a different emission standard state for the way it is vented?

FOR SALE - Carter # A6-4740S Carb - New Price

Thanks for the input in advance.....

It looks like the top has been changed on the for sale carb,It should look like the bottom pic with the bowl vent out the side.It looks like the bowl vent lever is there,it's in front of the choke pull-off.

It looks like the top has been changed on the for sale carb,It should look like the bottom pic with the bowl vent out the side.It looks like the bowl vent lever is there,it's in front of the choke pull-off.
Thanks. I just want correct intel. The online pictures for kits show the top the way it is. Could it be that the car numbers are different?

One carb has "J 9" and the other has "A 6"

The 1970-71 parts book categorizes the Carter 4740S as an ECS carburetor for the 440-4 HP with/without A/C. There are other models listed for the Non-ECS 440-4 HP engines.

The 1970 Plymouth factory service manual describes ECS as a (uppity) California-only thing, where the float bowl vent hooks up to the three-nipple crankcase breather.

I'm curious if its possible Non-LA, Non-ECS 440-4 HP cars were equipped and sold with a 4740S without the complete ECS fittings.

The 1970-71 parts book categorizes the Carter 4740S as an ECS carburetor with/without A/C. There are other models listed for the Non-ECS 440-4 HP engines.

The 1970 Plymouth factory service manual describes ECS as a (uppity) California-only thing, where the float bowl vent hooks up to the three-nipple crankcase breather.

I'm curious if its possible Non-LA, Non-ECS 440-4 HP cars were equipped and sold with a 4740S without the complete ECS fittings.

That's what I was thinking. It's a non California carb application without the other stuff. The casting has the means to machine for the other emission parts.

One carb is a "J 9" and the other is an "A 6" 4740S

That carburetor to me has been assembled with a mix of parts. That top is not correct for a 4740S. The base is correct for a 1970 440 with ECS. The factory parts manual clearly states it is for ECS which this top clearly is not. The parts break down in the factory parts manual does not show the external bowl vent arm for a 4740S. There must be some way to identify the top by some casting numbers. The 70 FSM shows the ECS system and makes no reference anywhere that I saw about it being a California only system.

No,all 4740's have the side vent tube.This carb is for all cars that have N95 emissions pkg.They didn't make some with the ECS side tube and some with the vent plunger over by the acc pump.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it must have been switched to change the venting setup. I couldn’t find any pictures of the carburetor to tell.

Thanks again

The 70 FSM shows the ECS system and makes no reference anywhere that I saw about it being a California only system.

From my 1970 Plymouth Barracuda FSM:

1688533774297.png

The text is different than the 1970 Dodge Challenger FSM

Last edited:
If there is N95 on the data tag and on the build sheet and it has the evap tube in the trunk it has the ECS system

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it must have been switched to change the venting setup. I couldn’t find any pictures of the carburetor to tell.

Thanks again
Just look at the FSM and that model is under a 61 group for parts. You can decipher it from there.

That's what I thought. It makes sense now because I have a 4966S with the ECS and a 4740S without. They must have been switched back in the day......

OK no worries , I will put them back where they belong.

Thanks again for the replies. Much appreciated.

No. It shows an external bowl vent for that model.
You're probably right, and I'm not saying your wrong, @pnora . But when I search epay using "Carter AVS 4966" the first 10 listings I see, all have the ECS internal float bowl vent. What are the odds all 10 of those carbs are wrong? I'm thinking really long odds.

You're probably right, and I'm not saying your wrong, @pnora . But when I search epay using "Carter AVS 4966" the first 10 listings I see, all have the ECS internal float bowl vent. What are the odds all 10 of those carbs are wrong? I'm thinking really long odds.

Yeah I misunderstood. I noticed many 4966S carbs were listed on Ebay with ECS. Seems to be a very popular carb but for a Chrysler Low Power. The 4740S I believe was for the R/T HP motors

Do not confuse 70 model year with 71.In 71 there was no with or without ECS. It appears most carbs were closed vent systems,meaning the vent tube on the choke side of the carb. In 70 there was specific differences between ECS and Non-ECS carbs,the bowl vent set-up being only one thing,jetting and internal parts were different also.

Auto Transport Service
Back