• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter AVS Four Barrel Identification

Steven Bowers

Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
Okay Fellas, I need you guys to give me some straight answers on understanding ID numbers on Carter AVS Four Barrel…..I’m going to use my numbers as an example so I can understand exactly what they mean….D9 4615SA….now to the best of my knowledge D means April, 9 means 1969….4615SA….383 manual transmission….I see numerous A,B,C,D,E,F and so on….SA, S, A…..well I’ve had people telling me the first letter and number mean nothing….4615 is 383 what the SA, A and S mean please educate me……PLEASE SET ME STRAIGHT on understanding these numbers…..Steve

Your date coding is correct. The S after the part number means it is the number for a complete carb, not an individual part. I believe the number after the S designates an engineering change.

Your date coding is correct. The S after the part number means it is the number for a complete carb, not an individual part. I believe the number after the S designates an engineering change.

I agree....the ****-S. Means the complete assembly number and the ****-SA means S assembly and the "A" means an engjneering revision of the origional design. Could be an emission related change or circuit revision to the fuel flow characteristics. IMO...the origional AFB design and later, the AVS design, were excellent performers, easy to tune (relatively) and a reliable long lived design. You either "love them or hate them"......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back