• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cashing a certified bank check

Isn't the whole point of "checks".....tracking or at least tracing?
I hope the OP considered that a large sum of cash income in their mother's name might adversely affect her SS benefits.
OP isn't listening (or comprehending?) what's being posted herein:
Bottom line is, if that check was cut and subsequently cashed, there is a trail on both ends.
Such trails are required by law and subject to federal and local/state scrutiny - by a lot of different agencies.

Cash transaction would have been advisable here.

Not trying to hide it from the IRS at all.
I received a large check and had it made out to my mother. She is elderly and only living on social security.
She cashed it and never deposited it in her account.
I'm asking if anyone would looks at her account can see if there was a transaction that occurred.
This is 2022 everything for better or for worse is on computer.
The Federal government is connected to SSI, Both are connected to the IRS, all 3 know more about your financial state than you do.
The same goes with your mothers information and bank acts ect.
If a business or person has a bank issued certified check issued to another person or company that check and the amount if over 10k and who it went to is reported to the IRS.
If your mother cashed that check the feds have record of it no matter if it shows up in her monthly statement or not.
I understand now what your asking.
The short answer I would think is no.
The bank is not out of the blue going to call up SSI and tell them Jane Doe just cashed a ck.
But..... The bank will let the IRS know she did,
Will those 2 ever compare notes ?
That is the unknown part.

The amount required to be reported to the IRS is still $10,000. 01 and up. Typically Cash dispersal only . Large and frequent ck deposits can / will still raise an eye ( see below )

Anything below that amount is at the discretion and up to each and every individual banking institution .
A person can make multiple cash transactions as low as $1000 , Do it 10 times in same day can/will still raise an eye. And yes going to multiple of same bank branch locations all in the same franchise does same thing.

Only way to insure its not reported is different banking organizations you have accounts at .
A little at 5th 3rd , a little at 1st federal, a little at Citi Bank, etc etc .

Thus why its best to NOT keep all your eggs in one basket so to speak .

My sister in law has worked internationally for many of the big banks for a several decades. She told me awhile back that the very large number of checks and transactions that go thru these guys makes for an incredibly slim chance that anyone or any agency would notice a transaction going thru like yours. That’s one thing - another is receiving and cashing or depositing any size check has absolutely nothing to do with her SSI, as some have intimated. Medicaid yes - SSI no.

Why don’t you just lay out the whole enchilada for the brotherhood here so your entire query can be appropriately answered once and for all? We can keep a secret…..

85802292-bb7a-4934-aca4-65bfdaa319b5_text.gif

A lady was holding up the check out line at Home Depot one busy Saturday morning because she was having trouble with her
credit card transaction.
The cashier was apologizing to everyone.
I told the cashier " Ya know what never has a problem during check out ?? CASH !! Cash never has a problem."

Sure it does-

1- young people counting change
2- national coin shortage
3- "new age" merchants who have only a phone or phone and "accessory" to accept payment.

Sure it does-

3- "new age" merchants who have only a phone or phone and "accessory" to accept payment.
Nah, cash registers tell them what change to hand out once they punch in how much we give 'em...

Sure it does-

1. Cash registers do the math for cashiers. I agree most can't count proper change.

2. I am part of the management team for the largest independent tire dealer in Louisiana. We have never seen this "coin shortage" that
people are talking about.

3. I am for electronic payment. It makes internet purchases easy but us old people most likely would not do much business with
a store with a no cash payment option.

IDK what's going on the the "coin shortage" either, but several businesses around here have signs asking for exact change if possible.

Are people, businesses, and/or institutions hoarding them?

I do have about a hundred dollars (currency value, copper value- slightly more) in pre-1981 pennies :)

Whats kinda fun is when the kid at the register says 9.61 or such , you hand over a 10 or 20 , wait till they key that in then hand them a penny.
:D

My sister in law has worked internationally for many of the big banks for a several decades. She told me awhile back that the very large number of checks and transactions that go thru these guys makes for an incredibly slim chance that anyone or any agency would notice a transaction going thru like yours. That’s one thing - another is receiving and cashing or depositing any size check has absolutely nothing to do with her SSI, as some have intimated. Medicaid yes - SSI no.

Why don’t you just lay out the whole enchilada for the brotherhood here so your entire query can be appropriately answered once and for all? We can keep a secret…..
Do really think this would be kept a secret, hope you are joking! The only real kept secret is the one you never mention to anyone. In my opinion.

Do really think this would be kept a secret, hope you are joking! The only real kept secret is the one you never mention to anyone. In my opinion.
C’mon brother - you must not have been around us very long. There’s like 25,000 worldwide members give or take on our forum. Of course I was joking.

Whats kinda fun is when the kid at the register says 9.61 or such , you hand over a 10 or 20 , wait till they key that in then hand them a penny.
:D
That happened to me today at Arbys, my order was $10.33 I handed her a 10 dollar bill a quarter a dime and a nickel for the fun of it and I had to tell her to give me the nickel back and 2 cents. Lord help us.

Auto Transport Service
Back