• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ceiling Storage

Bee1971

Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
Anyone hanging ceiling storage in there garage

I was thinking something above the two garage doors / 16’x7’ and 10’x7’ with torsion springs

Anyways or obviously the back wall

Want to get all the storage containers and crap off my floor so I can get all four cars in my garage in the winter

Any pictures or ideas and what manufacturers

Thanx Scott

I just hung 4x8 sheets of 1/2" plywood with 2x4's. Attach to ceiling joists. They are dropped about 20" from ceiling. One sheet of plywood above each garage door. They hold alot of stuff, for sure.

20200413_145141.jpg

Hung 4x8 plywood with 2x4's around perimeter. Screwed 4 eye bolts in the CENTER of joists and perimeter of plywood. I wasn't storing more than 300 lbs so I used S hooks and swing chain. Been up there 20 years.

For above my garage door I did 2X3's, 1X2's, with all screws. Lol, It don't take long to fill it with "stuff"!
I have hinged storage for a full view storm/screen door along with a 4" light hanging underneath.....
upload_2020-9-26_9-9-27.png

The two ladders are hung with store bought hangers. If you are 6'2" ya' have ta' watch you noggin!....
upload_2020-9-26_9-17-14.png

If you haven't yet, try Garage Journal. Every idea under the sun is on that site!
Mike

I've done homemade shelving on teh header panel above the door and liked it. Obviously cannot access any of that if the door is up.
Similar shelving along the walls, mounted to the studs and with periodic braces up to teh joists.
If concerned about that weight/structure, some posts down to the floor can help as well.
I have also done a 4x8 plywood shelf that the car noses underneath.

For some odd reason I cannot come to terms with 100s of # s hanging above my 1971 BEE

My OCD would cause me to go into some late night sleep withdrawals

I hang my kayaks with a pulley system. Works great. Can be used for other things like bicycles etc too.

6AFB89A3-B6E0-42C8-BF1F-628E918622E3.jpeg

Hung 4x8 plywood with 2x4's around perimeter. Screwed 4 eye bolts in the CENTER of joists and perimeter of plywood. I wasn't storing more than 300 lbs so I used S hooks and swing chain. Been up there 20 years.
Thought I posted picture here?? Another senior moment?? Ah O!
ceiling shelf1.jpg
cieling shelf.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back