• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center carb pouring gas out of vent tube

Are the repro carbs worth buying? Are they reliable out of the box? Or do you have to open them up and make adjustments?

Have no idea what quality is being sent out now?
After getting a poor quality Avenger carb, I just disassemble them, and make sure everything is cleaned out, and put them back together.
The issue with the carb mentioned was brass debris in the jet channel of the metering plate.

So, getting back to the OP's post #28 it appears that somebody replaced a factory screw with a much longer screw that prevented the float from rising high enough to shut off the fuel flow when the float was adjusted correctly. The only way I can see the car running good with that scenario is if the float level was set so low that the needle shut off before the float hit that screw. Maybe some debris got into the needle/seat and that started the problem with fuel running out of the vent. When the OP changed the needle assembly, unless the float was reset at a very low level, it would continue to vent fuel because of the too long/incorrect screw interfering with the float. Kudos to the OP for spotting that interference problem and solving it 'hot rod' style...Good on you!
Might look into a fuel filter that traps smaller particles to ward off a repeat performance.

I’m not sure why it would be happening suddenly after I had run well for a period of time. Trash in needle/seat? Start with basics first .

The blue no stick gaskets have been AWESOME for my 6bbl, making taking them apart and putting them back together much easier and less troublesome.
When I had PROMAX upgrade parts and do some labor on my 6bbl, I also changed my fuel lines to their upper and lower fuel lines. WAY easier to deal with, tweak the positions of, take on and off. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! If anyone still prefers the old hard lines, I have a brand new set I'll never use! :poke::D:fool: hint hint..

Are the repro carbs worth buying? Are they reliable out of the box? Or do you have to open them up and make adjustments?

NO, Holley had gone to carburetor hell, (Except for the 2 end Carbs I bought) Those work fine even 6 months later.. The last 4144-1 center carb I ordered back in Dec of 2020 was nowhere near "Wetflow Tested". Can't install even an OEM choke kit onto it due to them basically using a 4365 end carb with a center carb metering block. I took it off and rebuilt the original 4144. Havent had a problem since.. So I just had to eat the $800, and use it for parts.
Since, with Holley? You only have a short window to return it!! Only thing they'll do is RMA it back and "Act" as if they've repaired something. Very disapppionted with em. Considering the company's been sold 2-3 times in the last 9 years?
I think this is why many are going to injection. As long as I have my original carb I'll never use F.I. (Being a "Purist"). Not really even a need for a choke on a 6 pack car I.M.O.
But yeah, I'd avoid anything New Holley, except for their 4365 END/Outboard carbs. The 2 I did FINALLY receive work great.

Auto Transport Service
Back