• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing a pulley on an alternator

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
I am helping a buddy do an A/C conversion in his car, it currently has a single groove pulley on a good alternator.
I have some dual groove pulleys here.
What is the process to change pulleys?
This is a standard appearing aftermarket alternator with some output rating higher than stock.
Thanks!

I am helping a buddy do an A/C conversion in his car, it currently has a single groove pulley on a good alternator.
I have some dual groove pulleys here.
What is the process to change pulleys?
This is a standard appearing aftermarket alternator with some output rating higher than stock.
Thanks!
Do ya have a puller?

Change the front bearing while the pulley is off.

Heat pulley, pick it up with big channellock pliers and put It on.

Take alt apart and press pulley on.

Last I knew you could get a rebuild kit that had front and rear bearings, brushes, and the rectifier or whatever it's called. Might depend on the vintage what parts come in the kit

....or do what I do, and buy another alternator with the pulley you need.

I mistakenly bought a two-groove a few years ago....recently change to a single-groove. Makes a big difference when aligning the belts.

....or do what I do, and buy another alternator with the pulley you need.

I mistakenly bought a two-groove a few years ago....recently change to a single-groove. Makes a big difference when aligning the belts.
I agree just by a new alternator with the right pulley then you don't have to worry about taking it apart to put it back together... I know it's nice using what's laying around but here I would just spend the $$ instead of time.

I agree just by a new alternator with the right pulley then you don't have to worry about taking it apart to put it back together... I know it's nice using what's laying around but here I would just spend the $$ instead of time.
Used to be a starter/alternator shop on my way to work and my usual thing was to drop off on the way. I worked the evening shift mostly so drop off on the way in and pick up the next day on the way in and in most cases the prices was maybe 15% of buying a new/rebuilt one. That place is gone now like just about any kind of rebuild shop these days. There's a place down the road from me that 'reconditions' batteries and I bought one over a year ago and it's still kicking nicely and was cheap. Just wonder how long it'll be there with all the EPA crap coming down on us.

Used to be a starter/alternator shop on my way to work and my usual thing was to drop off on the way. I worked the evening shift mostly so drop off on the way in and pick up the next day on the way in and in most cases the prices was maybe 15% of buying a new/rebuilt one. That place is gone now like just about any kind of rebuild shop these days. There's a place down the road from me that 'reconditions' batteries and I bought one over a year ago and it's still kicking nicely and was cheap. Just wonder how long it'll be there with all the EPA crap coming down on us.
We have an Amish business here that does that exact thing with starters and alternators. I had a brand new Mopar alternator I did that with on my 96 Ram cost me $15-20 to swap the different piece out and bench checked it.

Last edited:
Just find a generator & alternator shop to do it. They did one for me .

Used to be a starter/alternator shop on my way to work and my usual thing was to drop off on the way. I worked the evening shift mostly so drop off on the way in and pick up the next day on the way in and in most cases the prices was maybe 15% of buying a new/rebuilt one. That place is gone now like just about any kind of rebuild shop these days. There's a place down the road from me that 'reconditions' batteries and I bought one over a year ago and it's still kicking nicely and was cheap.

Just find a generator & alternator shop to do it. They did one for me .
As I've always done. Central Jersey Starter & Alternator, South Amboy NJ. Send your cores & get it done RIGHT !

I'm sure Kern has a few extra alternators.. try taking the brushes out , and take the back off. The difficulty can be assessed through experience

Thanks, guys. I don't have a press. I have always just swapped entire alternators just to get the job done quickly.
The guy I'm helping did include another alternator with a dual groove pulley. I was thinking the pulley swap was an easier thing to do like maybe a P/S pump.
I'll just swap in the different alternator. There isn't an issue of date codes or originality here.

Thanks, guys. I don't have a press. I have always just swapped entire alternators just to get the job done quickly.
The guy I'm helping did include another alternator with a dual groove pulley. I was thinking the pulley swap was an easier thing to do like maybe a P/S pump.
I'll just swap in the different alternator. There isn't an issue of date codes or originality here.
No press?? How did you survive all these years! lol Not too long after rebuilding my first front end, I bought one. Had it so long now that I don't remember when I got it.

No press?? How did you survive all these years! lol Not too long after rebuilding my first front end, I bought one. Had it so long now that I don't remember when I got it.
Not a carpenter tool. :poke: :rofl:

Yeah....I haven't had the need for a press.
I do have a car lift and a welder. Those have proven to be great assets!

Yeah....I haven't had the need for a press.
I do have a car lift and a welder. Those have proven to be great assets!
These days now that I'm old, a lift would be great but 30-40 years or more ago, jack stands were good enough lol but man, I've used the snot out of my press. When I started building my own engines in the mid 80's, a press was a necessity and have used it for all kinds of stuff over the years and before I started building engines.

Auto Transport Service
Back