• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing Rear Shocks

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
This is a bit embarrassing but I was having one hell of a time installing new KYB rear shocks on my 62 today. 20 years ago it probably would have taken 10 minutes but I just don’t have the strength anymore to compress those damn things. I tried installing top first and bottom first but just cant compress the shock and hold it long enough…. With the mounts being at such a steep angle I couldn’t find a way to use a jack or clamps. Any helpful suggestions?…..

SEE below. A bottle jack on spring or rear diff can get you an inch. Don't get to happy with bottle jack. It will work if you a little bit more to go.
Stands under the frame and let the rear hang as low as it will go.

Last edited:
This is a bit embarrassing but I was having one hell of a time installing new KYB rear shocks on my 62 today. 20 years ago it probably would have taken 10 minutes but I just don’t have the strength anymore to compress those damn things. I tried installing top first and bottom first but just cant compress the shock and hold it long enough…. With the mounts being at such a steep angle I couldn’t find a way to use a jack or clamps. Any helpful suggestions?…..
Yeah. Throw those shocks in the trash and buy Bilsteins!
Seriously. The KYBs are junk, man. The reason KYBs are cheap is because they are crap. They give a harsh ride that "seasoned" enthusiasts don't usually like.
I ran them for years because I was short on cash and didn't know any better.
In 2015. I actually went from 1.0 to 1.15 torsion bars along with throwing out the KYBs and installing Bilsteins. The car actually rode better despite the huge jump in spring rate.

Last edited:
Well, I managed to get then installed today using a ratchet strap. What a PITA! Thought I could encircle the shock with the strap at first but that didn’t work. Finally used some holes in the cross frame for one end and the shock bottoms on the other.
thanks for the ideas and help guys!

Auto Transport Service
Back