• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing Therostat

Mopar69 Bee

Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
Needs some help!!!
Trying to change thermostat but housing is stuck to water pump pretty good. Any tricks or ideas how to get it loose without breaking it? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

IMG_1984.JPG IMG_1986.JPG

Lightly tap a thin, flat putty knife between the housing and the water pump to free it up...

Good luck. Sealing again could be a challenge. Everyone has advice, mine is to get a molded hose, put in a Napa/Stant 180 Superstat, and the only neck that sealed for me is the Mancini Billet.

Thanks for the advice. It's all back together. Here's a pic. I'll take it for a rip tomorrow. Hopefully it all sealed good.

IMG_1993.JPG

Started filling rad slowly. Drain is snug but fluid started coming out. Any ideas? It was ok before I loosened it to drain.

Out of curiosity did you use gasket sealer on your thermostat housing?

Started filling rad slowly. Drain is snug but fluid started coming out. Any ideas? It was ok before I loosened it to drain.

Open the petcock completely, then close again. I use a pair of pliers to turn it a "LITTLE" more than hand tight. Good luck...

Yes I did. It sealed great. No leaks. Took it out tonight for a drive. I ended up putting a new butterfly drain plug in. All good now. Thanks.

Yes I did. It sealed great. No leaks. Took it out tonight for a drive. I ended up putting a new butterfly drain plug in. All good now. Thanks.
The reason I asked, I don't use sealant with the Fel-Pro gasket, never had a leak.

Auto Transport Service
Back