• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Plymouth 426 thermostat

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Changing my radiator, hoses thermostat housing. I'm use to Chevy's. Took the leaking housing off and there was no thermostat. I noticed there is no groove in the water pump side or the housing. On Chevies there is a groove so the thermostat sits in it and becomes flush with the gasket. Not like that om Mopars?

Not a Mopar T stat housing is my guess.

Which side should have one?
The thermostat housing.
tstat housing.jpg

Yes, I just saw a picture on rockauto of that. The cheap ******* chrome housing that was leaking has none. I bought a billet mancini replacement but haven't taken it out of the package, I'll check tomorrow but I have faith in Mancini
There you go. Although they look nice, I am not a fan of chrome housings. They usually leak. You almost have to surface them to get them flat enough for a gasket to seal.

The billet mancini housing has the correct groove for thermostat. What is strange to me is that the groove is on the upper housing. The Tstat fits in it but you're working against gravity. I guess you put gasket down first then put T stat on top. On Chevy the groove is on the lower surface, so you lay T stat in groove and put gasket then housing on top

OK if I get in here on thermostats? 67' 440, thermostat housing has little protrusions, spaced where one would think a thermostat would seat into. But I tried buying one twice, and there are identical, from different suppliers, but they are to big to seat in this housing. I found a picture of an original housing and it looks like my original. What gives?

OK if I get in here on thermostats? 67' 440, thermostat housing has little protrusions, spaced where one would think a thermostat would seat into. But I tried buying one twice, and there are identical, from different suppliers, but they are to big to seat in this housing. I found a picture of an original housing and it looks like my original. What gives?
1698354807934.png

I don't know what the bumps are for but the thermostat goes into the counterbore that is cast into the housing. I glue the gasket to the housing to hold it in.

thermostat housing2.png

View attachment 1546412

I don't know what the bumps are for but the thermostat goes into the counterbore that is cast into the housing. I glue the gasket to the housing to hold it in.

View attachment 1546416
This is the housing I have but no slot for a stat. OK, I found a new one and ordered it. This engine came from a motor home, and it had no thermostat. Don't make sense, all engines need one to bring the engine up to operating temperature. Many thanks for your input.

Auto Transport Service
Back