• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger Bumperettes

fine69

Local time
11:38 PM
Reaction score
I got thinking the other day about the front bumperettes on 69 chargers. Were the large ones a special order option? I’ve seen them on both SEs and R/Ts. Probably base models too but who knows what is original anymore. I just kinda like the look of the larger ones; they make the front bumper appear a bit less one-dimensional.
So what’s the scoop?

IMG_2662.png

IMG_2661.png

I dont remember any rubber on my chargers Ive owned 68-70, It would drive me crazy to have rubber on the front and not on the back. JMO

I dont remember any rubber on my chargers Ive owned 68-70, It would drive me crazy to have rubber on the front and not on the back. JMO

Rubbers always go on the front, unless you are a receiver, then you definitely want one a rubber in the rear. :rofl:

Now, if you're talking about 68-69 Chargers, there are on rubber inserts on the bumperettes. Those started in 1970.

I got thinking the other day about the front bumperettes on 69 chargers. Were the large ones a special order option? I’ve seen them on both SEs and R/Ts. Probably base models too but who knows what is original anymore. I just kinda like the look of the larger ones; they make the front bumper appear a bit less one-dimensional.
So what’s the scoop?

View attachment 1585918

View attachment 1585922

The ugly larger ones started sometime mid-year in 1969.

In my 69 parts manual they show both. Not sure if it was a time or model thing. The short ones are both the same. The long ones show as right and left.

This thread is about bumperettes as described and pictured. Not talking about rubber.

This thread is about bumperettes as described and pictured. Not talking about rubber.
is there not any rubber on your bumperettes in the 2nd pic?

In my 69 parts manual they show both. Not sure if it was a time or model thing. The short ones are both the same. The long ones show as right and left.

The tall ones, which overhang the top of the bumper, would be made for LH & RH due to the V-angle of the bumper. This is not an issue with the shorter ones.

68 thru mid 69 were the smaller bumperettes. Later 69 got the taller bumperettes. 70's were different yet and added rubber stripes. My red 70 has them.

FB_IMG_1663103795542.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Last edited:
70 Chargers had the rubber bump strips. 68 and 69 were chrome,late 69 had the taller bumperetts. I am not aware of any special codes for the taller ones. Perhaps they were just made by a different vendor.

"M81 - Bumper Guards Front" for the 1970 Chargers were optional, even for the R/T. Only the "M83 Bumper Guards Rear" were standard; and were standard on all...XH29, XP29, and XS29.

Back when I bought my Charger R/T in '81 it had the taller bumper guards and they looked terrible. Not realizing there was a difference back then, I assumed someone had installed incorrect ones from another car. I sourced and installed a pair of short ones and moved on. Many years later I found out that the tall ones were probably correct for my car based on build date. A couple of years ago, I had a look at the original tall ones (still had/have them) and noticed that they are actually marked R & L. They were installed backwards on my car all those years ago and that is why they look so bad as if they were from another car.

My car's spd is 2/12, has the early short ones. Just wondering about when the break over is for the later ones?

i personally do not like the looks of the bumperetts, so one of the first things i did to my car when i bought it in 1970, was to remove them and fill the holes with bumper bolts.
just my personal opinion.
your mileage will vary.
:drinks:

i personally do not like the looks of the bumperetts, so one of the first things i did to my car when i bought it in 1970, was to remove them and fill the holes with bumper bolts.
just my personal opinion.
your mileage will vary.
:drinks:
I do not like them either. After a repaint in the late 90’s, they did not make it back onto the car. Either did the wheel opening moldings. Still have it all so maybe the next caretaker will reinstall

Shizam!!!
IMG_2740.jpeg

Guess what I found on kijiji?
I don’t know why you fellas don’t like these tall bumperettes because it sure adds a beefier look to the front bumper. I found a good deal online and couldn’t resist.
I’ll hand it to you though, they don’t fit worth a **** haha! I just mocked them up for the photo. The bottom bolt holes don’t line up at all. Sigh… might be going back to the original ones.

Shizam!!!
View attachment 1644293
Guess what I found on kijiji?
I don’t know why you fellas don’t like these tall bumperettes because it sure adds a beefier look to the front bumper. I found a good deal online and couldn’t resist.
I’ll hand it to you though, they don’t fit worth a **** haha! I just mocked them up for the photo. The bottom bolt holes don’t line up at all. Sigh… might be going back to the original ones.
Check for right and left. Years ago I pitched mine because I thought they were off of another vehicle because they fit so poorly. Lol, I found them in a box of parts in my shop awhile back (been there for 40 years) and noticed there is actually an L and an R marked on them. Mine had been inadvertently installed backwards way back when.

Check for right and left. Years ago I pitched mine because I thought they were off of another vehicle because they fit so poorly. Lol, I found them in a box of parts in my shop awhile back (been there for 40 years) and noticed there is actually an L and an R marked on them. Mine had been inadvertently installed backwards way back when.
Yep I noticed the R and L on them. But who knows, my bumper or bumper brackets or valance could be a little tweaked.

Auto Transport Service
Back