• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

charger console

hawkeye

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
I have an old style, 2 piece console that has the padded lid that is hinged in the back. I am planning on using it on my 68 and wanted to see how much work it was going to be to modify the console to accept the side hinged lid. To my surprise not only were the indentations for the hinge and the latch molded in but the holes are even drilled. My question is, why? Was there a car model that used a side hinged lid in those years or was this console modified sometime in the past to use the rear hinged lid? Thanks

DSC02130.JPG DSC02129.JPG DSC02128.JPG

I have a 66 Satellite and need to remove the console to install new carpet. Not sure how to remove console? Any hints?

You have to remove shifter plate. There a mount under there. Block tires shift to neutral so you can move shifter in later step. Unscrew the center push down on shifter and loosen set screw on outer part of handle. Can't see from picture ,remove the two screws on front shifter plate near front of console door. then you lift and slide it back a little and off it comes. Screw or bolt to bracket in front. Go to My Mopar website and download a service manual. Saves you from crap. The picture is a 4 speed but they bolt down same way. The 2 piece console is only for 66 ( I believe) they are the same as later one piece.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back