• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger Grill Install Help?

dodge68charger

Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
Going To Be Installing The Grill Assembly On My 68 Charger.

The Front Fenders Are Off The Car As Well As The Front Grill Housing Where The Grill Attaches To.

What Order Should I Go About Installing Everything?

Assemble the grill to the carrier frame/ support it goes into.
Mount the fenders before the grill and frame goes in the car

Going To Be Installing The Grill Assembly On My 68 Charger.

The Front Fenders Are Off The Car As Well As The Front Grill Housing Where The Grill Attaches To.

What Order Should I Go About Installing Everything?
Summary:
1. Put grill support (black metal skeleton) in position on car.....just a few bolts, this is temporary.

2. Place grill assembly (plastic structure with doors) in grill support. Install screws, just snug, and adjust grill side to side.

3. Remove grill support/assembly from car, and place it upside down on work table. Install wiring harness and headlight door operator assemblies.

4. Put J-nuts for valance and bumper attach points in position on car.

5. Put grill support/grill/harness/ assembly in position on car. A couple helpers come in handy now, to help guide everything, especially the 4 bolts that go through the wheel well. Install bolts.

6. Perform another adjustment side to side on grill. Tighten grill screws....but not too tight.

7. Install bumper supports on frame, finger tight the bolts.

8. Lift bumper into place, and see if you can slip on the top bumper bolt on each side. If not, the bumper supports need to be adjusted. This is a trial and error process, and took me quite a while to get it done. In fact, I had to press pretty hard on one side to get the bumper bolts to go in. (Apparently my bumper is a little twisted, even after it was re-pressed on a jig before it was re-chromed.) Install all other bumper bolts, do final adjusting for alignment, and tighten down everything.

9. Lift valance (with running lights installed) into position, and attach 2 center support bolts that hold up the middle of the valance. This will hold it in place while you go around and place the rest of the bolts. Check for fitment, and tighten up.

10. Position bumper guards and bolt into place.

Auto Transport Service
Back