• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger vs Roadrunner

Charger vs Roadrunner

• Dodge Charger

Votes: 64 44.4%
  • Plymouth Roadrunner

Votes: 80 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I totally understand. I bought mine from the original owner in 1985, and they got Married with the car in 1968. I rode to high school in a new 68'. and this car is that car. So,,,,,,,,,,,,

It isn't commonly known, but the Plymouth Division and Dodge Division didn't speak to each other, and they competed with each other. Actually when the Roadrunner showed up, dodge was pissed that the top guys didn't warn them.
The Plymouth guys were pissed when the Charger showed up, because the big guys didn't tell them. So Funny!

My point exactly. Thanks to the Birds for helping ignite the muscle cars. Had Chrysler not had that moment of brilliance, who knows where they would be today. The fact that Plymouth is dead makes the Runners just that much more collectable.

I dont see that. Plymouth being done has done nothing to increase the collectability of the RR. I see XP chargers demanding prices as high or higher then RR's.

I would like to think that Plymouth being gone would increase the value but it's only worth as much as some one will pay for it. That said WAAAAAAYYY too many chargers out there WAAAAAYYY over priced! Sorry but holy smokes $70k for a 68 383 car? no way. J code Hemi yes.

Great another "Really" reference. I'm getting so sick & tired of people saying "Really" all of the FN time. It's bad enough that the women say it on a regular basis and sometimes twice in a row. It annoys the crap out of me. What's more annoying is when guys have to use the "Really" reference.

Oh and by the way I voted Charger. 1968 Charger best car design EVER!!!

Myself, I love um all, owned most, over the years. just bought a 73 charger se-sunroof 440. they say there were 113 built? I do not know that to be true..

I am pretty sure this thread is dead now but hey do you "Really" think so? I mean come now Really? LMAO! Not even sure what the hell you are talking about...no really!

Great another "Really" reference. I'm getting so sick & tired of people saying "Really" all of the FN time. It's bad enough that the women say it on a regular basis and sometimes twice in a row. It annoys the crap out of me. What's more annoying is when guys have to use the "Really" reference.

Oh and by the way I voted Charger. 1968 Charger best car design EVER!!!

Well, before the thread is embalmed I just want to point this out.
The OP was which car is “best”, right?
I thought that was too subjective of a question since IMO the cars share too much DNA for that to be a good question.
Yet if it is a valid question, what standards do we use?
Money was not one of my standards.
But it always gets down to that doesn’t it? Can't be ignored.

I dont see that. Plymouth being done has done nothing to increase the collectability of the RR. I see XP chargers demanding prices as high or higher then RR's.

To each teir own I suppose, plus we're both biased. I have some pictures somewhere of a friends black 69 SE/RT and my white 68 Bird in a park but I can't locate them. I thought they would have gone nicely on this thread.

If you want to call the modern Charger a real Charger go ahead. Dodge screwed it up IMHO. Just like Plymouth screwed up the late 70s Runners.

Best looking of all time? I'll take the Chally. CH6.jpgCh2.jpgCH7.jpgChally 6.jpgChally3.jpg

To each teir own I suppose, plus we're both biased. I have some pictures somewhere of a friends black 69 SE/RT and my white 68 Bird in a park but I can't locate them. I thought they would have gone nicely on this thread.

If you want to call the modern Charger a real Charger go ahead. Dodge screwed it up IMHO. Just like Plymouth screwed up the late 70s Runners.

Best looking of all time? I'll take the Chally.View attachment 203210View attachment 203211View attachment 203212View attachment 203213View attachment 203214
Here's the thing, im not biased. I love them both. I cant lose this back and forth because of it. I love mopars therefore I win. That being said, what we are comparing here is not 2 cars. We have 1 model, the charger, and 1 sub model. An option package. The road runner. A performance option on the belvedere. A great car no matter how its optioned out.

can any one in mopar land help me locate brake and clutch assembly for my 1969 RR. Thank you for your help. Roadrunner14

can any one in mopar land help me locate brake and clutch assembly for my 1969 RR. Thank you for your help. Roadrunner14

Yes, its on the drivers side under the dash. If you open the door and get down on the drivers floor footwell area with a flashlight and look up behind the dash you will locate them

^ primarily after they were retrofitted....aka not from the factory...I usually do not count the hemi or six pack only because there was like what, 1500 Roadrunners total made in 69' that came with these options.....compare that to almost 18,000 R/T Chargers that came with AT LEAST a 440 Magnum from the factory that same year. Numbers do not lie, doofus

Its only fair to compare the performance versions of the cars with the eng that came standard and any upgraded optional eng. And the 69 Roadrunner blew away all other Mopars in sales at about 84,000 as that makes 18,000 R/T's look puny. And if we compare how many got the Hemi the Roadrunner wins again. The Charger had its place as an upgraded muscle car which cost more then a Roadrunner and it filled its role greatly. The Roadrunner was sold cheaper and with the 383 so younger kids could afford one and it did that job greatly. They both did what Mopar wanted them to do. Myself I would have wanted the Roadrunner because I like racing my cars and dont want any extra options that add weight and slow the car down and thats was the best feature of the Roadrunner as thats what most racers wanted and I think that had a bigger following then the higher priced heavier muscle car and I believe that why the Roadrunner sold more. Ron

LMAO. Nice reply Hemi !!!

Yes, its on the drivers side under the dash. If you open the door and get down on the drivers floor footwell area with a flashlight and look up behind the dash you will locate them

Its only fair to compare the performance versions of the cars with the eng that came standard and any upgraded optional eng. And the 69 Roadrunner blew away all other Mopars in sales at about 84,000 as that makes 18,000 R/T's look puny. And if we compare how many got the Hemi the Roadrunner wins again. The Charger had its place as an upgraded muscle car which cost more then a Roadrunner and it filled its role greatly. The Roadrunner was sold cheaper and with the 383 so younger kids could afford one and it did that job greatly. They both did what Mopar wanted them to do. Myself I would have wanted the Roadrunner because I like racing my cars and dont want any extra options that add weight and slow the car down and thats was the best feature of the Roadrunner as thats what most racers wanted and I think that had a bigger following then the higher priced heavier muscle car and I believe that why the Roadrunner sold more. Ron

This is a fair statement...I think we all know what we like, so this post is actually quite stupid to begin with. I personally love the looks and overall presentation of the Charger 2nd Gen...it's dead sexy to me.

I WILL say however the market value of said cars usually reflects in popularity/desirability...in that regard the Charger wins hands down according to Hagerty or any classic car valuation tool.

I agree the second gen charger are great looking cars and I love the 68 best. I would not hesitate to own one. I just hapen to really love Roadrunners also and I really love the look of the 69-1/2 6pk cars. But I think it was great the way the 68 Charger shocked the auto world with its great coke bottle style as it was a big jump in sales over the 66-67 models. And the world really liked the 68 and second gen Chargers. Both the Charger and Roadrunners are winners in my book ! Ron

They were both great cars, but in the end the two were in a different market.This whole post is stupid because the GTX was the peer Plymouth. I never saw a roadrunner come anywhere near a 68' RT charger on the street performance wise. The GTX was awesome, and driving both, they were exactly the same. The charger weighed more than the base roadrunner for obvious reasons. look at the weight of the GTX. deck out a roadrunner, and the weight goes right up.
I heard it all the time, " I just couldn't get the money" for the GTX, or my dad won't let me have a 440 Magnum.Or, "my Insurance will kill me". In reality, the Roadrunner got treated the same way when it ran into a little 340 swinger, that was a budget racer, that most of the time ate the Runner up. The runner was sucking hind tit in that comparison. An Idiot could fly in a 340 A body auto, and the b body took some skill. in 1970 the number one stolen muscle car in the U.S. was the 340 Mopar, and the Nova 350ss. The bad part about selling a car cheap, is resale sucked. In 69' you could buy used Roadrunners for 1500.00 bucks or less. I still see vividly a 70'six pack 440 Roadrunner sitting in a driveway for $800.00 Bucks. In Oct of 69' I know of several guys that heading to Vietnam, tried to sell their cars, and somehow the car was found in a ditch on fire instead. Desperation, as Insurance beat repossession. That is the reality of the time. Which is why I was able to buy a 68 roadrunner in 1979 for 200.00 bucks, running and driving. I still have the dash to that car, as I junked it out in 1980. I could never find a Charger or GTX for that price, even then.

Best looking, it all depends on the year!

66-67 no RR Charger wins!
68-69 hands down Charger!
70 toss up with the new RR front end.
71-72 toss up again, but I think the Charger with the hidden head lights wins, but barely.
73-74 RR grill looks pedestrian, Charger wins
75-current toss up.

Performance.
Well you can order any combo with either one, so which one is the winner?
Richard Petting won a lot more races in his 72-74 Charger then he did with any other Mopar! Of course I think he used that model longest, but hey if it aint broke don't fix it! In fact Richard pushed Plymouth to build the Superbird because he wanted a Daytona, but Plymouth wouldn't let him out of his Roadrunner. So much he hated the Roadrunner in 69 he ran a Furd!

If the duke boys drove a Torino most of these posers wouldn't know what a charger was....

Auto Transport Service
Back