• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger vs Roadrunner

Charger vs Roadrunner

• Dodge Charger

Votes: 64 44.4%
  • Plymouth Roadrunner

Votes: 80 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They were both great cars, but in the end the two were in a different market.This whole post is stupid because the GTX was the peer Plymouth. I never saw a roadrunner come anywhere near a 68' RT charger on the street performance wise. The GTX was awesome, and driving both, they were exactly the same. The charger weighed more than the base roadrunner for obvious reasons. look at the weight of the GTX. deck out a roadrunner, and the weight goes right up.
I heard it all the time, " I just couldn't get the money" for the GTX, or my dad won't let me have a 440 Magnum.Or, "my Insurance will kill me". In reality, the Roadrunner got treated the same way when it ran into a little 340 swinger, that was a budget racer, that most of the time ate the Runner up. The runner was sucking hind tit in that comparison. An Idiot could fly in a 340 A body auto, and the b body took some skill. in 1970 the number one stolen muscle car in the U.S. was the 340 Mopar, and the Nova 350ss. The bad part about selling a car cheap, is resale sucked. In 69' you could buy used Roadrunners for 1500.00 bucks or less. I still see vividly a 70'six pack 440 Roadrunner sitting in a driveway for $800.00 Bucks. In Oct of 69' I know of several guys that heading to Vietnam, tried to sell their cars, and somehow the car was found in a ditch on fire instead. Desperation, as Insurance beat repossession. That is the reality of the time. Which is why I was able to buy a 68 roadrunner in 1979 for 200.00 bucks, running and driving. I still have the dash to that car, as I junked it out in 1980. I could never find a Charger or GTX for that price, even then.

You never saw a Roadrunner out perform a Charger ?? I saw it all the time. Not all Chargers were 440's and I have seen 383's beat 440's before. First the Roadrunner is a lighter car then the Charger and they were pretty close when both had the same eng of course but my money would be on the lighter Roadrunner. I mean the Roadrunner did have the Hemi option also and the 440-6pk in mid 69 as they were both faster in a drag race then the Charger. But if your talking just the 383 Runner vs the 440 Charger of course the Charger has the edge but the 383 could run pretty good if you had it in good tune and some of the lighter 383 Roadrunners did beat some 440 Chargers. I remember when my mild 383 Dart just walked away from my buddies 65 Plymouth with a nice 440 in it as I really shocked him and hurt his pride when my lowly 383 Dart spanked his 440 car. Ron

Last edited:
Although I love both, in doing a straight comparison, I have to give the nudge to the road runner. Remember, the Charger came standard with the smaller V8s and you had to pay extra to get a 383 and four speed whereas the road runner came with both standard, at least the first few years. At the same time, it was also less expensive.

You never saw a Roadrunner out perform a Charger ?? I saw it all the time. Not all Chargers were 440's and I have seen 383's beat 440's before. First the Roadrunner is a lighter car then the Charger and they were pretty close when both had the same eng of course but my money would be on the lighter Roadrunner. I mean the Roadrunner did have the Hemi option also and the 440-6pk in mid 69 as they were both faster in a drag race then the Charger. But if your talking just the 383 Runner vs the 440 Charger of course the Charger has the edge but the 383 could run pretty good if you had it in good tune and some of the lighter 383 Roadrunners did beat some 440 Chargers. I remember when my mild 383 Dart just walked away from my buddies 65 Plymouth with a nice 440 in it as I really shocked him and hurt his pride when my lowly 383 Dart spanked his 440 car. Ron

I'm sorry,
but with all due respect ,
it had to be a sick R/T to have a 383 roadrunner beat it. 340 darts chewed Roadrunners up all the time. Roadrunners had it easy with 318 chargers or 383 2bbl cars, but, the roadrunner would have no luck with a GTX. The Charger R/T and GTX weighed the same. Your saying a 383 roadrunner can blow off a GTX ? Not likely, unless the driver is doped up. I have both cars, and my GTX will chew up the 383 all day long and go home asleep. I like my 383 HP coronet, but the GTX pulls way past the reach of the 383. The guys that lost driving a 440 R/T were to scared to push the car to it's potential. There are exceptions, as I also had a friend that never lost in a 383 roadrunner. however, he only knew one speed, and shifted at max RPM every time he got in the car. he didn't care if he blew the car up. he was nuts to the extreme. When he went to Vietnam, he had to be the best point the 82nd Airborne Infantry had ever seen. No fear, and dying wasn't important . He was also a great drag racer. I wouldn't challenge him at any time. In reality, I frequently saw the best drivers win in the slower car, and the less talented drivers lose in the faster car. it was all about how far did you want to push it? People were killed every week racing back then. That was the way it was. Today 60 mph is good for me, I have seen what a deer can do to a nice 60's car.

I'm honestly not sure why this would be questioned. Anything by Plymouth is so far above anything made by Dodge!!!! There really is no question. It's obvious that the reason the Dukes had a Charger was because the producers of the show didn't want to wreck a bunch of Plymouths.:icon_fU:

I'm honestly not sure why this would be questioned. Anything by Plymouth is so far above anything made by Dodge!!!! There really is no question. It's obvious that the reason the Dukes had a Charger was because the producers of the show didn't want to wreck a bunch of Plymouths.:icon_fU:

Wrong, the Dukes drove Chargers because only the girls(Daisy) drove Plymouths.:yes_no:

Since you reserected this TRAMO, one more jab.

When did the Charger ever win Motor Trend's Car of The Year award?
Answer: Never.
The 69' GTX, and The 70' Cuda didn't either. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which would you rather have? A cheap knock off, or a real collectable?::headbang:

That is so funny! People with no money bought Roadrunners, sort of like Ripple wine, you bought what you could afford! HA HA

That is so funny! People with no money bought Roadrunners, sort of like Ripple wine, you bought what you could afford! HA HA

What does that have to do with the term collectable?

I guess they don't teach the meaning of that term in the Nebraska schools.
The N on the Husker's helmets stands for knowledge, right?

What does a cheap roadrunner have to do with Football? if you were broke, wanted a GTX, but blew all your bucks in the bar, you bought a Roadrunner. The GTX Guys were a little more discriminatory. I know, because I own three, 2 67's and a nice 68'. it is a foregone conclusion that on the open market any 68' charger or GTX today will sell 10 times before a equal condition Roadrunner. Who cares about car of the year, it was because they were cheap, and well marketed. That is why they were the car of the year. .:icon_eyes:

What does a cheap roadrunner have to do with Football? if you were broke, wanted a GTX, but blew all your bucks in the bar, you bought a Roadrunner. The GtX Guys were a little more discriminatory. I know, because I own three, 2 67's and a nice 68'. it is a foregone conclusion that on the open market any 68' charger today will sell 10 times before a equal condition Roadrunner. For more. my GTX will too.:icon_eyes:

Man, something tells me you and I are the only two on line tonight, at least subscribed to the same threads.

I'll close with, let the poll stand for itself, at least with this group.

That's cool, I do love Roadrunners, I just have to defend the GTX's that were out there too. I have owned a bunch of both, as I'm old. And they were all a lot of fun. gas was .39 cents a gallon, beer was $1.00 a can. what a day it was!

I'm not sure if two fellows riding around together is a positive endorsement for a car.
If Hollywood had stopped after Bullitt, it would be different.
Pretty much wore that one out for me.

http://youtu.be/45qGFdmHMoc

IMG_2059.jpgi love all but , generaly the guys who bought gtx's and chargers, parents had money.the guys who bought birds and bee's worked and paid for them there self.im not disparaging anyone ,thats just the way it was.

Auto Transport Service
Back