• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

charging problems

No, never! The VR case only goes to ground (battery negative). You may have a good ground to the VR case, but I am just suggesting that you make sure. Also, there has to be a good ground between the block and the chassis. This is just to eliminate the easy, obvious problems so those are out of the way.

Good, I thought that was wrong. I do have a good ground from the block to the firewall.

Hi, just ran a jumper from the vr case to the - side of the battery. No change. I have a good ground on the block to the firewall. Still working on that pic of the alternator.

Do you have a duel field alternator or a single field ? I ask this because a lot of replacement alternators are duel field and If you put a duel field alternator in and the car is set up for single field then ground the other connection on the alternator .

I've been trying to sort through your responses in this thread to see if you ever addressed the dual field alternator concern.

It sounds like...
A. You have a dual field alt
B. You installed a stock replacement witing harness.

If these 2 things are true... You must ground 1 of the 2 field tabs on the back of the alternator, otherwise it will not charge. This ground wire will not be a part of the wiring harness you bought because they used a single field alt in1969.

You can ground it anywhere that has a good solid ground connection.

Please clarify if this was done or if I'm missing something from your posts.

Here is a helpful link about single vs dual field alternators
http://www.440source.com/altparts.htm

Last edited:
Hi, based on the pics in the link you sent(thank you), I have a single field alternator. Wire harness is is set up for a electronic ignition system(ie: distributor, voltage regualtor, ignition module.

I wanted to say thanks to all the input members have provided. I followed the thread as I was having similar issues and jumpering the Alternator to the battery helped prove it was my VR. Replaced it and now all is working much better, dash lights, horn etc. all performing as expected and getting a good charge to my battery more importantly. Thanks FBBO!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back