• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheaper place for dash dimmer switch ?

My car is a convertible, therefore I only have a map light. Does anyone know for sure if the dimmer is supposed to dim the map light ? I’m gonna bypass it. I ll be damned if I’m paying $150 for a switch that probably will only last a few years anyway and it’s only purpose it to dim lights that aren’t bright to begin with. I get paying that much for a good original, but the knock offs aren’t any cheaper. Not this guy, not for this part

Devin redid my NOS one for me to use on the next car. You should also have two lights in the rear panels for a convertible.

Devin redid my NOS one for me to use on the next car. You should also have two lights in the rear panels for a convertible.
Yeah, I do. I can’t get them to work for the life of me. Changed bulbs, checked contacts etc. Those are the ones I want to work most. I fixed all lights not working but those and the signals. I have one more thing to check in reference to the signals.

On mine the panel lights attached into the dome light plug in the kick panel which, i believe also hooks into the door button switches somewhere. If the socket terminals are bad that should be an easy fix. It could be a similar issue like the front parking light socket that either wear or melt the "buttons" back into the plastic disk in the socket where the bulb terminals contact. I know someone that soldered the contact terminals on the bulb taller to fix the issue.

On mine the panel lights attached into the dome light plug in the kick panel which, i believe also hooks into the door button switches somewhere. If the socket terminals are bad that should be an easy fix. It could be a similar issue like the front parking light socket that either wear or melt the "buttons" back into the plastic disk in the socket where the bulb terminals contact. I know someone that soldered the contact terminals on the bulb taller to fix the issue.
Yeah, the sockets are in pretty good shape on the rear panels. I messed with them all day one day and nothing. Do they run up along the door under the metal gutter looking piece to the door button switches ? It was a good time to look all of that over before I replaced my carpet. I had too many things that needed put back together as I was anticipating nice weather. So, I moved past it. Only looking at the sockets. Thanks for your help

Coming from a dad that loved the British cars with their damned Lucas electrical system...George Lucas's best quote was " a gentleman should not be motoring about after dark"

Yeah, the sockets are in pretty good shape on the rear panels. I messed with them all day one day and nothing. Do they run up along the door under the metal gutter looking piece to the door button switches ? It was a good time to look all of that over before I replaced my carpet. I had too many things that needed put back together as I was anticipating nice weather. So, I moved past it. Only looking at the sockets. Thanks for your help
You did jog my memory a bit. The convertible rear panel lights are part of the rear harness and run up the rocker. They also have some soldered joints that have anti chaff tape wrapped around them. Mine were good and I just had them rewrapped in plastic tape so I can't help you in configuration. The setup was a little odd though and I believe they even had the trunk light wired in also. Maybe the harness diagram can help or find someone with a harness uninstalled that you can get pictures of. Your harness could just have some incorrect repairs.

I'm sure this guy does a FANTASTIC job rebuilding / restoring dimmer switches, but he's not going to stop it from controlling his park lights!! :welcome:

I'm sure this guy does a FANTASTIC job rebuilding / restoring dimmer switches, but he's not going to stop it from controlling his park lights!! :welcome:
There's a wicked echo in here.....

I sent him all my switches and a chrome plastic knob kit. He does good work. I think I bought a rebuilt AM thumb wheel radio from him, too which was missing when I bought the car.

Mine was shorting itself, so i just bypassed it...

Auto Transport Service
Back