• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check my carb tune please?

Why do you always challenge people on their knowledge ? Yes I know what stoichiometric combustion is. Yes I know what the numbers on an A/F gauge mean? what im not going to do is write out some long winded explanation like you would.

Sorry to burst your bubble where the world revolves around you and you think your the smartest person in the room.

Myself and A LOT of other people know what the numbers on an A/F gauge mean . This is apparently a surprise to you ?

What most people don't do is try and spew a ton of over technical descriptions that is not needed to answer half the questions on this board. Yet you do this on a constant basis . I can only think this must make your feel superior some how ? This is not the first time you have challenged me on some of my post. If that helps you sleep at night then so be it.

what is the difference between 14.3 and 13.8 at cruise ???? Not to much ,that is the point. The car is running where i want it to be, and where it likes to be. Now if i am cruise and I feel the car is struggling, or its acting odd, I can look at my gauge, its now reading 15.5 ? Hmmm thats weird, is it spiking to 15.5 or is it constant,??? I can read this instantly and start to problem solve the situation.

Doesn't mean anything unless the ratio is related to something ? How about throttle position for starters ? I would say that's pretty damn consistent.?

I do not know 1 single person that brags about their A/F ratio? What is there to brag about?

Its a tool to help your car run the best that it can. Thats not a persons "view point " why would you dismiss someone trying to improve their vehilce.??

You don't need to be a drag racer to use an A/F gauge . ( another major point you seem to fail to grasp ) NOT ONCE has drag racing been the topic in this thread.

You don't care what your A/F reading is ??? That is an outright LIE . You are basically saying you don't care how your car runs then. Its bogs off idle, it back fires , my motor sounds like it has a bunch of marbles in it.......... MEH doesn't matter becuase I am to good for all this air fuel non sense??? WTF

If anything your really making your self look like the one that doesn't understand how USEFUL an A/F gauge acutally is .

to each his volition........
In all your dissertation, the one issue you got correct is: I really do not care what instantaneous A/F ratio is...and anytime you want to have a thinking contest, let me know as I use to design combustion control systems using Programmable Logic Control (PLCs) systems and am totally aware of what's required. To each his own volition....
BOB RENTON

And there it is . Challenging me again.

You think your smarter than everyone .

Like a flashy dressed pop star trying to prove how rich he is... next to the billionaire in clothes from Walmart.

Your biggest flaw..... next to your ego

In all your dissertation, the one issue you got correct is: I really do not care what instantaneous A/F ratio is...and anytime you want to have a thinking contest, let me know as I use to design combustion control systems using Programmable Logic Control (PLCs) systems and am totally aware of what's required. To each his own volition....
BOB RENTON
I agree that one specific A/F ratio number might not be exactly the correct one. But the meter definately shows a trend as to what is happening at various throttle openings, rpm, road speed. and the poster here says the car drives very well. Now tell us. How you would dial a carb in?
Doug

I agree that one specific A/F ratio number might not be exactly the correct one. But the meter definately shows a trend as to what is happening at various throttle openings, rpm, road speed. and the poster here says the car drives very well. Now tell us. How you would dial a carb in?
Doug
I must admit.....the old fashioned way.....after I feel I'm close to where I want the engine to run at, I'll do a couple of WOT acceleration trials, shut down and declutch in neutral, pull a couple of plugs fed by opposite manifold bores, compare electrode and insulator coloration......yes.....it's slower and more time consuming, but repeatable. To what value is the A/F device....especially if the O2 probe is only reading 1/2 of the total cylinders and your throttle opening, engine variables, and air density (corrected for barometric pressure and temperature) is not exactly the same......it may be close to ideal but not exact.......just like the old fashioned way.......which is better???? Its a matter of personal preference......
BOB RENTON

Does your method account for air density corrected for barometric pressure and temperature ? Can you tell the difference at part throttle ? Ease into the throttle or a wide open stomp? From idle accelerating at various speeds?

Whats more repeatable , a calibrated electronic device in a fixed position or your interpretation of what your seeing with your eye.

And I STRESS that interpretation part. Are you always looking at the plugs in the same light ? Do you use a flash light sometimes? Is the motor burning oil ?

Which is better ? It's sure isn't up to personal preference.... one is FAR more repeatable and controlled than the other ..

The difference.... you can actually use the AF gauge AND reading the plugs in conjunction . Unfortunately when your head is to far up your A$$ you can't compare your interpretation to with a calibrated electronic reading

Just my opinion of course .....

Does your method account for air density corrected for barometric pressure and temperature ? Can you tell the difference at part throttle ? Ease into the throttle or a wide open stomp? From idle accelerating at various speeds? I make the correction independently.

Whats more repeatable , a calibrated electronic device in a fixed position or your interpretation of what your seeing with your eye. I'll take my interpretation any day.....I trust my judgement.....

And I STRESS that interpretation part. Are you always looking at the plugs in the same light ? Do you use a flash light sometimes? Is the motor burning oil ? I'm totally aware of how to "read spark plugs".

The difference.... you can actually use the AF gauge AND reading the plugs in conjunction . Unfortunately when your head is to far up your A$$ you can't compare your interpretation to with a calibrated electronic reading.........

Comparison between two different methodologies is futile.....you have your philosophy and I have mine.....what ever method you choose is up to you; is it correct for everyone ....NO.....its just like opinions and the human pyloriic sphincter controlled waste elimination orifice......everyone has one......perhaps your visual aquity is limited......sure sounds like it is.....??
BOB RENTON

OHHH please try to use some more impressive words . They are very intimidating and make you look ohhh so sophisticated. Totally what this forum is all about .

This started becuase you felt the need to try and dismiss someone's methodology for tuning their vehicle . One that has been PROVEN to work. You now seem to be back tracking and admiting that the method is valid .

.But instead of HELPING with your assumed and self indulged knowledge, you choose to argue or debate . Using long drawn out theoretical explanations with overly descriptive or scientific explanations. Who are you trying to impress? Your input in this thread and many others are not helpful. Instead you try and catch someone on a technically incorrect sentence that you feel the need to over complicate. And if someone contradics you, just like this thread ,your only defense is terminology and theory which may be correct but is completely insignificant and not relevant for the situation or discussion .

At the end of the day. The OP with his A/F gauge will be able to tune his car better and faster with it than without . He will be able to collect more information than you will , who refuses to embrace modern technology

The end

OHHH please try to use some more impressive words . They are very intimidating and make you look ohhh so sophisticated. Totally what this forum is all about .

This started becuase you felt the need to try and dismiss someone's methodology for tuning their vehicle . One that has been PROVEN to work. You now seem to be back tracking and admiting that the method is valid .

.But instead of HELPING with your assumed and self indulged knowledge, you choose to argue or debate . Using long drawn out theoretical explanations with overly descriptive or scientific explanations. Who are you trying to impress? Your input in this thread and many others are not helpful. Instead you try and catch someone on a technically incorrect sentence that you feel the need to over complicate. And if someone contradics you, just like this thread ,your only defense is terminology and theory which may be correct but is completely insignificant and not relevant for the situation or discussion .

At the end of the day. The OP with his A/F gauge will be able to tune his car better and faster with it than without . He will be able to collect more information than you will , who refuses to embrace modern technology

The end
You know the old saying Dazzel them with brillance n dazzle them with Bullshit

Every car that has fuel injection uses O2 sensors in the system to calibrate the mixture.
The engineers who design those systems can't all be wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back