• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check the date of manufacture

And keep in mind this....NEVER gage your tires condition by how much tread it has. It's what you CAN'T see that will become a problem.

Nobody and I mean nobody ever looks at or ask to see the mfg date code on a new set of tires. Because 99% of the motoring public do not know there is even a date code on them. It's only when they experience a problem is the date code brought up. I educate my customers EVERY DAY.
Oh I'll ask about date codes.....that is if I'm buying new but I haven't done that in a very long time. I did negotiate the price of a pickup not too long ago after looking at the date codes. The tires were 11 years old lol. Wasn't a problem because the tires on the Creep I was about to sell had a set of 5 that were barely a year old that were going to replace the 11 year old tires and were the same size.

I know I am pushing it all my life but I have 7 vehicles. 5 are classics, 3 of those are project cars, 1 cruiser and 1 race car. My fair weather daily driver is my 12' Challenger. My truck is used when it snows, for hauling or towing my trailers. All of what I drive all year long combined is not even 10,000 miles are year on all of the vehicles total. I have some tires over 15 years old, some over 10 but none have hardly any miles and most stored indoors in climate controlled garage. I also have several different sets that I swap around for different looks on each classic car.

You must be liv'n right!

I know I am pushing it all my life but I have 7 vehicles. 5 are classics, 3 of those are project cars, 1 cruiser and 1 race car. My fair weather daily driver is my 12' Challenger. My truck is used when it snows, for hauling or towing my trailers. All of what I drive all year long combined is not even 10,000 miles are year on all of the vehicles total. I have some tires over 15 years old, some over 10 but none have hardly any miles and most stored indoors in climate controlled garage. I also have several different sets that I swap around for different looks on each classic car.
2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2Fac%2F15%2F7c%2Fac157ca2746aefc7cbf1f43fb8774fc5--on-thin-ice-polar-bears.jpg

“If you replace a tire before it blows off the wheel, you have wasted tire”.

Abraham Lincoln

I swear some of you own stocks in BF Goodrich.....

I'm going to tell you who makes the best all around tire in the world....wanna guess first??

Haven't seen a Michelin, Goodyear or Desser blow off an airplane yet.. but I certainly wouldn't try a Goodrich...

I swear some of you own stocks in BF Goodrich.....
Well, I've had several sets of BFG's since 1980 and so far, have had only one fail. Thing is, it failed slowly doing 65 mph and allowed me to get off to the right side of the freeway and out of harms way. It was a shredded mess by the time I got stopped but there was no damage to the vehicle at all. It was around 4 years old but had been on the car for only 2. That was in 2002. Have had 3 General tires fail pretty badly with two of them doing several hundred dollars damage to the cars. The 3rd time pissed me off to the point where I filed a claim against General tire and they paid. One of the cars damaged was a left front fender on a 73 Challenger and another to my 95 Dakota. No Good Years ever failed and only one 'Micky' failed on a trailer but it was 20 years old :D Haven't had but one set of Yoko's but so far, they've been good. 2 of them are on my 95 Dakota and are 8 years old. Not sure if my X is still running on them with her Durango....not even sure if that thing is even still running and.....don't really give a damn.

While a little more $$$ up front, worth it in ride, handling & longevity. Of course who doesn't know that???

As long as they are rotated, balanced,aligned & kept to the proper inflation pressure for the application.

I have a set of Michelin radials off my Bee, that I bought in 1988, and the tire shop guys told me I was nuts taking them off the car just two years ago to put my redlines on! Absolutely nothing wrong with them..

All of which I'm sure the motoring public does......(insert sarcasm)

Yeah? You need to find another tire shop!

"It's what you CAN'T see that will become a problem"

Auto Transport Service
Back