• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHROME HYDRO-PLATING

72redbird

Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has had chrome hydro-plating done on a bumper or any metal? If so, does it come out looking like regular chrome? We have no chrome shops in New Mexico, and I saw an ad for a place that is about 3 hours from here that does hydro-plating. They have pictures on their web site of bumpers and side covers that they have done and it looks good. But that is a picture, I was wondering if it really looks like chrome when you are looking at the piece in front of you?
Thanks

No but I’ve heard a lot of people down that way have brought their stuff into Mexico to get chromed.

I don’t know how much truth there is to it, but it is interesting.

I think that Hydro Platers is the name of the business that does different types of plating, including chrome plating. That is what came up when I googled it.
There is either one place or 2 places in El Paso that does chrome plating. I contacted them about doing my bumpers, but have not taken them yet. I just polished them up as they are, and put them back on, with a few scratches etc...

In the past I have had the place in ElPaso do chrome for me. He does excellent work, but were as it used to take 4-5 weeks to get something done, that has now turned into 4-5 months. Thats what it took over the summer for some trim pieces to be polished and a sway bar chromed. I was just wondering about he hydro-plating, because Roswell is closer than El Paso and these guys do not have near that kind of time frame for parts turnaround.

Ok, you are one step ahead of me. Haha. I didn't want to wait that long either. Keep us posted on what you find out about the place in Roswell.
There is at least one member on here from Roswell, maybe they can shed some light on this.

One thing to keep in mind ... the folks who do "spray chrome" or "hydro dipping" (which I think you're referring to) generally do NO prep work other than wiping off dirt or dust from the piece to be done. In other words, if you take them a dented, scratched or pitted item, you're going to get your piece back with those flaws still apparent under the coating.

There are two reasons "plating" is so expensive. The first being the labor to prep the piece for a good finish and the second is the cost to meet government regulations.

If you strike out on Roswell I’d advise checking into the Mexico option. Ive done some stuff down there back when Tijuana was somewhat safe. Those guys can do brilliant work for a song. Now I’ve never gone the rechrome way and I live close enough to TJ that it makes it worth while. I don‘t know what size population center you have below you from your area - but still an option. You can get anything done down there.

Auto Transport Service
Back