• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Car Stereos

ChargerChad

Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
I have a 71 Charger with the original am/fm radio and cassette dictophone. Needless to say, nothing works. I'm looking at doing a swap to one of the classic-appearing modern radios so that I have bluetooth capability as well as my beloved satellite radio in a stock-looking format. Speakers will upgrade in the stock locations. Cassette dictophone will stay in place because it's really cool looking even though it rattles like a dice jar. No amps, no booming speakers, no bs... just lots of BTO, Skynyrd, and Bad Company.

Anyone have any experience with these classic/modern stereos? They're pretty pricey...

I had a 67 AM radio converted by Ward's classic car radio. Sorry I can't be of more help as they're no longer in business.

One of the retro units has vol and tune knobs that are separate and can be positioned like the oddball both on the left, like your 71-74 B body cars.
Kinda pricey, though.

You could put equalizers in your cassette pod. It's DIN width, but oddball 1.25 DIN height.

I have a $50 used modern Pioneer unit with USB in my cassette pod.

I went with Retrosound Hermosa having BT and several other features (I don't use) for my '63 needing a shaft mount that wasn't too easy to find. They do have a bunch of setups though for various rides you could check out on their site. My system was around 300 bucks and been happy with it.

I have a 71 Charger with the original am/fm radio and cassette dictophone. Needless to say, nothing works. I'm looking at doing a swap to one of the classic-appearing modern radios so that I have bluetooth capability as well as my beloved satellite radio in a stock-looking format. Speakers will upgrade in the stock locations. Cassette dictophone will stay in place because it's really cool looking even though it rattles like a dice jar. No amps, no booming speakers, no bs... just lots of BTO, Skynyrd, and Bad Company.

Anyone have any experience with these classic/modern stereos? They're pretty pricey...
Clay Taymon @941-371-8924 in Florida, his work is very good , did my Am conversion, he has speakers and can give you anything in your original unit you want !

I am very happy with the Retrosound unit in 64 wagon. This was the second Retrosound radio I have purchased. The fit like and look original.

I am in your same boat, but my 72 AM-FM stereo radio at least still works. My choice is between sending my original to have it gutted and replaced w/more modern electronics....or just buying a replacement replica unit for around $700 and boxing my original just as I have for a few other original parts Ive replaced with more modern. Some future owner can knock himself out with the original parts.
Another consideration is replacing the speakers, in my case the single shallow speaker in the middle of the dash and the 2 in the rear package shelf. The "modern" radios will require newer speakers also, 4ohm IIRC. I replaced my 71 cuda with the classic replica about 9 years ago and it was great, but I think it had the same dash as my Roadrunner which means it needed a very shallow front speaker AND a little cutting/grinding to make it fit.

I left the stock radio alone & installed a bluetooth amp....The amp sync's with my phone & has a small remote to control functions... Mounted the remote in the ashtray...

I left the stock radio alone & installed a bluetooth amp....The amp sync's with my phone & has a small remote to control functions... Mounted the remote in the ashtray...
Do you have a link to the amp you used? That sounds interesting. I would just have to get the kids to set my phone up with music....

My ‘70 Charger came with an AM/8-Track. :D

I went with the Retrosound Redondo in my '67 Belvedere. I added two 6x9's in the back, a dual cone unit in the factory dash location, (it is actually 2 speakers in one frame), and a subwoofer under the seat. I love the Retrosound for a few reasons. It takes the factory knobs and bezel. There are a few different station preset button options. The one that I picked looks pretty close to the originals. Other than the digital readout, it looks pretty much stock. There are 2 USB jacks. I got a mounting bracket for one of them, so I can charge my phone. The sound is excellent. And I can stream music through the Spotify App on my phone.

20200424_184646.jpg

Very interesting thread as I'm looking at doing same thing also in a 1971 Charger but mine is a daily driver so maybe go with cheaper underdash unit if they still make them.

That’s one of the things that appealed to me with the retro (using the original knobs) and no cutting up the dash. I had to cut the bezel though (no issue since I have 3 of them) and made a reversible aluminum face plate to set behind the bezel. It has a flash drive port for music rather than use the phone, just my preference, and the unit has a power antenna lead buying one on ebay. Next project is adding more speakers…being a vert anything behind the front seat doesn’t work without more electronics so hunting for a box to mount some mini-speakers beneath the radio.

Console Ply 7 10 18.jpg Radio Ply (2).jpg

I'm keeping my original look. Mounted everything in the glove box. I have Bluetooth, AUX, am/fm stereo and can also use my phone through it. Pioneer headunit, a little Kenwwod amp I've had in the garage for years, 2 Kenwood 6x9 in back, 2/3.5" speakers in place of the single dash speaker and converted my practice amp into a sub for the trunk. Remote is sweet to have.
20220427_161518.jpg
20220427_162735.jpg
20220427_161656.jpg
20220427_160625.jpg
20220427_163332.jpg
Just need to get the door cleaned up and put back on. Sounds amazing

Points for "Slayer" qued up.

Auto Transport Service
Back