• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning 67 Coronet Wheel lip trim and Rocker moldings

pwm72

Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
What is the best way to clean / polish these trim pieces? I have a buffing wheel and various compounds, but are these pieces anodized? What is the best way to polish them up before install?
Thanks all!

Wheel lips are stainless. Plymouth 67 rocker panel molding are anodized aluminum. I assume Dodge are the same but not sure. The wheel lip moldings can be polished up with a metal polish and scratches worked out by sanding with several progressive grit levels of sandpaper before polishing. Other than cleaning tar and grime off the rocker moldings and a light polish with something like Mothers there isn’t much you can do with worn, pitted ones unless you strip off the anodizing by chemical stripping and the sand/polish them back. A trim shop can strip and re-anodize them but it’s probably cheaper to buy the reproductions if available for a Dodge.

What model of 67 coronet? The trim can be aluminum or stainless depending.

Well…it’s an R/T clone I recently purchased. All trim is off but there. Car was originally a Coronet 440. Not sure if trim is correct for R/T or 440. I wasn’t aware it was different.

Wheel lip and lower sill moldings are specific to 1967 Coronet R/T. However they were also used on 1966 Coronet 500. 1966-'67 Chargers also used the same front wheelwell and lower sill moldings. These pieces are all stainless steel, and should buff up well. Classic Industries reproduces the lower sill molding. I ordered a set from them to replace the weathered ones on my R/T, and they fit well and look great.

Look up pictures on the internet of a coronet 440 which has all anodized aluminum trim. Then look up Coronet RT which has all stainless trim

67 Coronet R/T Stainless wheel lip moulding and stainless rocker moulding. If that's what yours looks like it's stainless.

1967-dodge-coronet-r-t.jpg

1967 Coronet 500 lower trim is all anodized aluminum I'll guarentee

As for Coronet RT or 440 models Im not sure

20221023_111712.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back