• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning seat belts

oldbee

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
So the other day the wife started cleaning out old crap from the last 30+years and found my original rear seat belts. Any ideas on cleaning them up w/o damage? Soak in sink? I don’t think washed&dryer is an option( too much noise&she watches me like a peregrine falcon,lol)

0A7EA7FA-201C-4C1C-BC8E-6F2820551BC1.jpeg A3A283D5-22F0-454F-90B4-743EEBAD8F62.jpeg

Sounds aggressive but mine had paint overspray on them from a long ago repaint. I ended up brushing on some Aircraft Stripper, letting them sit for a few minutes then hit them with a power washer. Be careful around those labels as they are easy to make fall apart with the power washer... Super clean now.

I actually boiled mine lol. They were nasty to begin with and looked faded. The water was a dark brown when I was done. You could probably just soak in hot water.

I use dish detergent it is a grease cutter not soap as a lot of hand oils and hand bacteria on belts let them soak in warm water over nite then swish them around use a soft brush so as not to damage the integrety of of the belt . always works for me

Presoak with Simple Green and then get a sink full of hot water and OxyClean. Wash, rinse repeat. Works like a charm. No scrubbing needed, just use your hands to aggetate while washing in Oxy.

I put mine in my old army laundry bag and washed them in the washer. Used the bag to keep the washer tub clanking too much. They came out great.

Wonder about ultrasonic cleaning? Google who does ultrasonic cleaning Ne Ohio.

I've sprayed them with oven cleaner, let sit for a few minutes then scrub and rinse. Also used Murphys oil soap with good results.

Lot of good ideas, thanks guys; I was kinda worried about the labels too.

I did a set in the dishwasher. They came out looking surprisingly well.

Just got done with better-half and she agreed on both dishwasher AND clothes washer?!!! I don’t think she’s feeling her normal self today! Something’s up I’m sure.

Just got done with better-half and she agreed on both dishwasher AND clothes washer?!!! I don’t think she’s feeling her normal self today! Something’s up I’m sure.
Mark it on your calendar!

I would air dry them useing either way. The clothes dryer wouldn't be too good!

A soft bristle brush with some dawn dish soap diluted in warm water, lightly scrub, then rinse in warm water, and hang to dry.

She says she’s going to look for a laundry bag she has; I’m going into this with a big smile!

Wesley's Bleach White also works good.

And what's with these old black Mopar seat belts; they all seem to have a tinge of green in them when they are all cleaned up.
Mark, mine came out great in dishwasher(set at heavy,instead of normal). No green to be seen, thank God. Jeff

Mark, mine came out great in dishwasher(set at heavy,instead of normal). No green to be seen, thank God. Jeff

I was going to ask how did they turn out ? Would love picture did you take a before and after ?

Auto Transport Service
Back