• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear Coat on Interior Metal Pieces??

72 Satellite

Local time
3:58 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,

Forgive my painting novice...I'm replacing my steering column "Collar" with a "Floor Mount" piece since it originally had a Column Shifter and I now have a Floor Mounted Auto Trans shifter. I used a fine grade Scotch-Brite pad to scuff the new piece from Classic Industries that was painted black. I then cleaned the 3 pieces with Isopropyl Alcohol. Next came several light coats of grey primer. Lastly, I applied Herbs Interior Paint (B5 Blue). My question is, do I need to apply any type of clear coat after the color coat. The texture and color came out really great, I just want to make sure it lasts and is durable before I reassemble it. Thanks in advance.

As long as it has a few coats of the color I would leave it as is. I'm not a big fan of clear coat myself, I've had problems where I've ruined stuff that looked really good, when the clear coat reacted with the color. Professionally done might be a different story, but for rattle cans I wouldn't bother.

No it will no see much sun light. Plus I myself have not been able to find flat clear coat in a spray can. When it comes to a flattening agent that you add to your clear that you spray out of a gun is very expensive. Yes 3 coats is good Should last a long time

No it will no see much sun light. Plus I myself have not been able to find flat clear coat in a spray can. When it comes to a flattening agent that you add to your clear that you spray out of a gun is very expensive. Yes 3 coats is good Should last a long time
I've been able to find clear and flat clear at Home Depot.

Original interior paint on the dash and steering column were lacquer, and that was a hard paint once dry, that's why they lasted and didn't need a clear coat. If you are using quality paint it should not require a clear coat.

Auto Transport Service
Back