• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear coating over stickers?

Beep!Beep!

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
I am going to be putting stickers on my RR and was wondering if it was a good idea or bad idea to put on car before clear coating? Could it cause some kind of chemical reaction make a mess?

20200429_230209.jpg

I would think you would get a chemical reaction

Personally if it was me.. I wouldnt do it.

I have clear coated stickers, but it was done after the rest of the vehicle was clear coated.

In 1988 we painted my stripe on the car and the Bee and letter decals where cleared over. Here it is still looking fine on it's way to body and paint in 2016 some 28 years later. Was PPG products of the day.... probably not recommended with todays formulations..
beeloading3.jpg

Last edited:
when in the sun and in the cold, the clearcoat and the decal expand and contract at different rates and usually
end up cracking. It all depends on the materials. Personally I would not.

Why not just call the decal manufacturer who supplied them and get their opinion?

I don`t like because when you have to get back into it for repairs its a pain and you never think about getting back into it ,check with one of our great painters here on the site how his feeling s are on this subject having been in the custom painting field and body work I don`t like it ,eldubb440 he is on this site and does a lot of painting :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back