• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clock to tach conversion?

Rebel74

Local time
12:21 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever swapped out the clock in the 74 Charger rallye dash for a tachometer? Is it possible to use an aftermarket tachometer in the space where the clock goes? As well as using one of those "B-body rallye dash decals" to maintain the original look? Or is this limited to finding an original rallye dash tachometer to put in there?

Yes you can.Measure and find something close.
Did all the gauges in a 66Charger with Autometer used the same bezzles and dash.
Had RedLine Gauge Works do a 64 and 65 Belvedere swapping the clocks for tachs.
Sorry No photo of the 66 and the crappy 65 photo.
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_2777.jpg

Yes. The only real challenge if figuring out how to secure the tach to the gauge face. You'll have to fabricate a bracket. I think it's much simpler to buy a repro tach.

While not the same car, on my ’63 adding an aftermarket tach was pretty easy. I located one having about the same face diameter for the cluster lens and used duct tape to increase the diameter of the gauge housing to insert tightly in the space where the clock was. In my case, the clock had a cup enclosure and it sets in a tunnel so to speak in the assembly the circuit board as can see in the photo. As for the face of the tach, yep, it’s different from the OEM gauges; but wasn’t a concern with me for matching. Was no factory tach available in my car anyway. Only thing I’d prefer is a larger diameter given the size of the gauge faces; but that was what it was if wanting to use the clock space for a tach. Not sure what the cluster bezel rear configuration is on your car; but if you haven’t removed it yet, you may find some quick ideas when you can stare at it for a bit and looking up available tachs in the size needed and making a bracket as posted. If repro's are available…as posted, that’d be my 1st choice. I'd have liked to have that option.

Circuit Board 2.jpg Dash 1.jpg

Why worry about aftermarket pieces with decals for the original look if new repros are available to fit in to the place? They are 8K thought instead 7K like originals are.

Is true they are not cheap.

Charger specialties even offered once a Tic-toc-tach version for our cars. It seems didn't get success. I could have got one of those, but it was pricey

He is sold out also of the repro tachs

https://www.chargerspecialties.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&sort=20a&page=2

But not just the 71/74 B body, but several bodies tachs are sold out. Maybe more of the post pandemic delays with electronics components production delays.

I had an Actron tach in my 70 Bee.

Fit well and the number fonts were close in style to the other gauges.

I did have to hack just a little to get it secured, and I removed the tach's clear plastic to cut down on the glare, which meant I had to fabricate a block off disk to go over the center.

Not a terribly hard project and turned out well.

You can absolutely do the same thing with the 71-74 rallye dash.
The clock comes out whole and leaves a nice, big opening to work with.

As noted above, finding one that "fits in" both size wise and font wise, is the real challenge.

Did it on my 72.

Installed a new tachometer from Charger Specialties in place of the clock, also changed the lens to one without the hole for the clock thingy.

25513286657_a411c5c187_z.jpg

25513339587_78cc78baaa_z.jpg

25513400477_bd44ff58f2_z.jpg

is charger specialties still in business?

Auto Transport Service
Back