• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

coating inside quarter panels

MoparBill

Reaction score
I replaced the quarters on my 69 RoaRunner with AMD full panels. I am looking to coat the inside with a similar sound deadener that the factory used- any suggestions? It looks like gravel guard would be close, is there anything better?
The AMD panels have e coat on them; should I scuff that, then epoxy, then coating, then body color? What would be the best order of application?
Any help on this is much appreciated!!

I did not replace my quarter panels, but I did acid dip my Road Runner. So I had the same dilema . I used spray in bedliner to duplicate the factory look.

Did you epoxy prime first? Does the liner go on before or after paint? I'm not sure what it looked like from the factory.

My complete body was powder coated with a sealer/primer type of product. I applied the under coating after that, and before painting. Should appear all the same color in there with texture to the inner surface

My complete body was powder coated with a sealer/primer type of product. I applied the under coating after that, and before painting. Should appear all the same color in there with texture to the inner surface

Correction.... Heavy spray in bed liner.

I used 3M body Schultz. It can be sprayed over pretty much anything. Scuff the surface up a little to help with adhesion. I've used 220 grit and even 180 paper.

Spray on 2 coats. It takes one can per quarter panel. Primer over it then spray your color.

I ordered some stuff from Restorations by Rick called Factory Texture Undercoating. I've heard a lot of good feedback about it. $60. for a gallon and is sprayed on with a Shutz gun. I haven't used mine yet, but am getting close. I think I will spray it on top of the epoxy primer, then sealer, and paint.

Auto "correct".....

Schultz ? "I know Nothing ! " .... yeah, body shutz is the stuff to use !

Right!!! Damned auto correct!!!!! " I see nothing, nothing Col. Hogan!!"

It should have been shutz. My bad I didn't even catch it.

I just tried out another 3M product on the bottom of my Duster. I used it on the rear wheel well area and just behind it where the trunk floor extensions are. It was a pinkish / tan color and was a little thicker than rock / chip guard. I'll have to get the part number off my receipt.

It worked out really well and it takes paint nicely too. It acts like a chip guard but a lot more heavy duty. Very similar to body shutz.

i got it right that time.... Lol

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered some stuff from Restorations by Rick called Factory Texture Undercoating. I've heard a lot of good feedback about it. $60. for a gallon and is sprayed on with a Shutz gun. I haven't used mine yet, but am getting close. I think I will spray it on top of the epoxy primer, then sealer, and paint.

Please let us know it works. It never hurts to try new stuff. Thanks in advance....

Right!!! Damned auto correct!!!!! " I see nothing, nothing Col. Hogan!!"

It should have been shutz. My bad I didn't even catch it.

I just tried out another 3M product on the bottom of my Duster. I used it on the rear wheel well area and just behind it where the trunk floor extensions are. It was a pinkish / tan color and was a little thicker than rock / chip guard. I'll have to get the part number off my receipt.

It worked out really well and it takes paint nicely too. It acts like a chip guard but a lot more heavy duty. Very similar to body shutz.

i got it right that time.... Lol
:headbang: LOL ! But you caught MY reference ! It seems everybody I know calls it "Schultz" and I say, like a reflex action "I know nothing" ... so, how's things over in Stalag 13 ?

Back