• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEI Distributer Upgrade

Hubert

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
I am upgrading my 1974 Roadrunner with a 318 engine with a new HEI Distributer, new coil, and wires. Only instructions are DO NOT USE THIS WITH A BALLAST RESISTER. As we all know 74,s have a resister. Instruction state to attach the red and black wire from new distributer to the coil. So my question is what happens to the wires on the original coil. Don,t know where they go? Also will something not work if the ballast resister and the other 2 items on the fire wall are not hooked up? Does this new HEI replace all of them? Thanks in advance.

Is this a GM type HEI dist, 5" cap, coil-in-cap? If so, it has two connections, marked on the cap 'Bat' & 'Tach'. Self explanatory. I am assuming your car has a single bal res. The wires that connect to the bal res need to be connected together & connected to the Bat terminal on the HEI. Job done.
Congrats on the HEI. Open your plug gaps to 0.060".

I do not consider gm HEI on a mopar to be an upgrade. OE mopar electronic ign seems solid enough to me.

You might not consider a GM HEI an upgrade, but it is........for a number of reasons:
- more spark energy
- bigger plug gap
- variable dwell
- no bal res to fail
- less external connections, so less failure areas.

HEIs are being made for engines that NEVER had them originally. NOBODY is making Chrys dists for other brands of engine. There is a reason for that.....

I just finished up doing my 73. I dug out the resistors in the back of the ballast and ran a 16 gauge wire to work as a splice for the blue and brown wires and used my original wire to the positive side of the coil. The original negative wire is not used because the negative coming from the hei is used in its place.

You might not consider a GM HEI an upgrade, but it is........for a number of reasons:
- more spark energy
- bigger plug gap
- variable dwell
- no bal res to fail

HEIs are being made for engines that NEVER had them originally. NOBODY is making Chrys dists for other brands of engine. There is a reason for that.....
That's because the Chinese haven't made the effort...

- more spark energy
- bigger plug gap
- variable dwell
- no bal res to fail

…. in a vacuum with zero context. It’s a 74 Roadrunner with a 318. Great car but I see this as a cruiser scenario. Stock electronic ign system more than adequate… and OP could be out cruising instead of trying to figure out how to rewire his ign system.

Would that big gross ice cream pail even fit by the firewall? How about aircleaner clearance.

I am upgrading my 1974 Roadrunner with a 318 engine with a new HEI Distributer, new coil, and wires. Only instructions are DO NOT USE THIS WITH A BALLAST RESISTER. As we all know 74,s have a resister. Instruction state to attach the red and black wire from new distributer to the coil. So my question is what happens to the wires on the original coil. Don,t know where they go? Also will something not work if the ballast resister and the other 2 items on the fire wall are not hooked up? Does this new HEI replace all of them? Thanks in advance.
All set. Unhooked the ballast resister and placed a jumper wire between the wires leading in and out of the resister.

Auto Transport Service
Back