• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Combo u-joint fittament

megaivtes

Local time
3:44 PM
Reaction score
so I swapped my 741 open chunk for a 489 suregrip. Bought a Moog 347 combo u-joint and small side will fit drive shaft but large side doesn't "fit" right in. Wasn't sure if yoke was changed on this chunk but Dia. me asurements seem to be correct. See how the large side(7290) of joint fits. So I'm guessing I need to clean up the yoke with a file?

20200509_163533.jpg
20200509_170824.jpg
20200509_170559.jpg

The rear end yoke looks like it's had a rough life.....and I wouldn't use myself.

Does it fit properly without the circlips in place ? I have had to dress them a bit, to get them to fit before.

Does it fit properly without the circlips in place ? I have had to dress them a bit, to get them to fit before.
That one looks like it needs more than just a dressing.....

Here's a pic of the otherside. It fits a little further in, but neither fits all the way in. I'm thinking I could clean them up since they are only .01 hundreths different, but wanted to see what others have experienced.
20200509_161148.jpg

Picture is a 7290 29 spline I have sitting around .
u2.jpg

Fran...thankyou for the offer, but it looks like I have a 10 spline according to Dr. Diff site
  • 1 1/8" pinion nut socket = 10 spline
  • 1 1/4" or 1 5/16" pinion nut socket = 29 spline

$120 at Denny's driveshaft, ouch. Hope somebody can help.

I'll take a look....still have a few but not sure what they are.

Got one....but it's been modified for through bolts.....

Everything buttoned up. Just took a lite file to get them to seat right. Went out for a ride today and might have to loosen up rt side rear drum but everything seems good. New frnt/back lines and all new out back.
Next is disc upgrade up frnt, but I need to make final decision on wheels. Magnums or OE steelies. I'm really liking the old school look of the blk steelies. They might look better against my Citron gold paint.
20200517_143136.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back