• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comp BB hyd. roller lfters

Charger686970

Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
My 383 for my 68 charger has a comp hyd. roller cam and lifters. About four hours on the fresh motor the lifters crapped out, The engine builder sent them back to Comp and they sent a new set, they would not give him a reason as to why they failed they just kept saying we will send another set ever time he asked. The new set of lifters are in but I have not set the pre-load, I have the rockers backed off for now. I was thinking of getting a set of lifters from Hughes and I have the dimension of their lifters and was wondering if anyone could tell me how close dimension wise the Comp lifters are to Hughes lifter dimensions? Wanted to know if I could put Hughes lifters on the comp camshaft and still be able to run my current pushrods or are the dimensions different and will I need another set of pushrods if I go that route. I just do not have confidence in the replacement set of lifters from comp. I already spoke with Hughes and they said I can run their lifters on the comp camshaft but they said check the dimensions of the comp lifters to see about if I need to change pushrods and I can not find any dimensions for comp. Thanks for any info.

I would try comp again before buying more, if they go bad again demand a reason.
I am currently running crane Hyd roller on my comp cam no problems, but made the push rods.

My engine builder measured and had the pushrods made by comp for the motor. The engine also has the comp pro-magnum roller rockers. Today I order the rocker shaft stud kit from Hughes and going to replace the rocker shaft bolts with studs. Comp does not even know what to set the pre-load at, instructions say one thing and on the phone they tell you something different for the pre-load. I am going to follow what Iq52 suggested in another post about them a start of with trying 1/8- 1/4 turns on the pre-load. Just was thinking if the lifters were the same dimension I would put the Hughes lifters in so I do not waste another set of intake gaskets and Indy 2 piece valley pan gaskets.

comp or any of the cam grinders don't make lifters. just find out who makes comp lifters and then you can ask around for something different or stay the same. hugh's probably knows who makes their stuff if your looking for something better.

They are probably morel but then again maybe not if they failed.

Comp tech line isn't the smartest bunch I've spoken with. The Comp ProMagnum lifters should be set at .000"-.008" preload, according to the correct instructions, using adjustable rocker arms. You can try anything you want but that is where I set them.

Comp tech line isn't the smartest bunch I've spoken with. The Comp ProMagnum lifters should be set at .000"-.008" preload, according to the correct instructions, using adjustable rocker arms. You can try anything you want but that is where I set them.
Right! Been a couple of years since I dealt with them. Customer wanted their crap against my recommendation and was in a bit of a hurry too. They sent all the wrong crap and then the new replacement crap required some modification. Don't remember exactly what but remember it was minor. Thing is, the cam and valve train parts were for a mild engine and was supposed to be a direct replacement. Anyone one that asks for Comp crap gets told to go someplace else....I ain't dealing with the hassle.

Same thing happened to my set of Comp Hydraulic roller lifters. Comp never did answer my emails so I went back to a solid flat tappet cam. I put it down to a lesson learned, an expensive one at that.

What exactly is the problem people are having w/ the Comp lifters? Are pieces falling off or what?

What does "crapped out" mean? Diarrhea? What?

There's a check valve under the piston that allows oil in but stops it leaking back out. There's a video on the Comp website showing you how they are made. The video shows a check ball, when in actual fact the valve is nothing more than a thin steel shim. The shim is not up to the job and shatters. Bits of the shattered shim get stuck in the bleed hole and the lifter just clatters from that point on, it will bleed down as fast as it's pumped up. If all of the pieces of shim manage to make it to the bottom of the lifter it will start to work again to a point.

What exactly is the problem people are having w/ the Comp lifters? Are pieces falling off or what?

What does "crapped out" mean? Diarrhea? What?
I guess I mean they took a " dump on me" or went bad. The problem I had was we were fighting a extremely rich condition, so I was on the phone with the carb builder and trying different ign. timing settings and no matter what you did it kept getting worse. The lifters did start to get noisy. We ruled the carb out because we pulled right off my car with no changes and bolted on my brother 440 in his 77 CHP and it ran great, idled good and carried good vacuum and no richness. On my car it was rich, low vacuum and idle was choppy. After getting nowhere with it I called the builder to come by and check the lifter pre-load and as soon as he started, within checking the first couple cylinders he said these lifters are junk, they feel like mush and I can feel them popping when I put pressure on them, he said let me check them all and we can start it then, as soon as we started the motor the lifters we just clattering and we shut it down. My engine guy said let's pull the lifters out so I can send them back to comp and all they told him was they are bad we are going to warranty them for you, he could not get a answer as to why they think they went bad. Thank you again IQ52 for taking the time to read my pm and give me a pre- load setting for the replacement lifters. I know a few other people locally that have had issues with comp cam and lifters on was in a Chevy and the camshaft it's self broke into a couple of pieces. Not sure how true it is but I heard comp sends the good parts to bigger engine builders and for the average person gets the china junk. Not bashing Comp cause I know a lot of builders use them and have no issues. I just want to get them squared away.

Charger686970: "Not sure how true it is but I heard comp sends the good parts to bigger engine builders and for the average person gets the china junk. Not bashing Comp cause I know a lot of builders use them and have no issues. I just want to get them squared away."

Really? If this isn't bashing Comp Cams I'd hate to see what that looks like. Does anybody seriously believe that a major cam manufacturer would trash their reputation by doing something like that? This is how untrue rumors gets started. Please realize that when you put stuff like this out on the net IT IS THERE FOREVER!
Take a walk through any NHRA pit and you'll see more Comp Cam sponsor stickers than any other brand, and yes, the product has to be in the motor to collect the sponsor's contingency money. If the products were junk, no serious racer would run them, regardless of sponsor money.

Auto Transport Service
Back