• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Connecting Rod and Cap Fitment

Anyone ever run or cut their own bearings to make them narrower? It used to be a racing deal....a bit narrower is supposed to free up some friction. I've never seen dyno results from doing that though.

Thinking (and dangerous!).:D

Just so I don't lead anyone wrong. I'll admit, it is 'possible', for oil mist to get to the cylinders, and pistons. How? The rod and main crank bearings. The bearing 'ends' are open, so when pressured oil gets to the bearings, those open ends allow oil to spray out.
Enough to keep the cylinders/pistons lubed? I'll stick with what I know works.

Tobin-Arp works for us
just watch budget rebuilt rods and check for angled caps on a steel plate or a glass
they break rod bolts even in stock rebuilds
a little wider at the parting line hurts nothing
as to angling both the rod and the cap opposite ways to match?
no benefit on the pinch together at the parting line

this notch?
I dont see any new bearing online with it...which is annoying

DSC01787.JPG

this notch?
I dont see any new bearing online with it...which is annoying

View attachment 1645834
There's supposed to be a tab on the back side of the bearings that match up with the rod and cap.....that places the bearings in the right position. Is that what you are asking? Some say it's an anti rotation deal to keep the bearings from spinning in the rod but if things ain't right, they will spin anyways.

There's supposed to be a tab on the back side of the bearings that match up with the rod and cap.....that places the bearings in the right position. Is that what you are asking? Some say it's an anti rotation deal to keep the bearings from spinning in the rod but if things ain't right, they will spin anyways.
He's referring to the half circle of missing metal... It was designed as a oil squirter to spray oil in the direction of the cam & lifters... Bearing manufacturers eliminated them many years ago... They claim they were ineffective & lead to lower oil pressure... I say any extra oil on the cam/lifters is a good thing.. But then again extra oil pressure isn't a bad thing either... I've built engines with both types of bearings & haven't had any failures in either configuration...

Those squirt holes do NOT oil the cam, or the rods...well maybe a little mist. The way I've always understood it, their for providing a little oil spray, for the cylinder walls, piston skirts, and piston rings. It sure don't come from oil splash!!

Anyway...done biting my lip...

you're right you know..jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back