• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering 392 modern Hemi in my 67 RT convertible clone

FitzyB5

Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a shop that does modern hemi swaps in b bodies in New England area. I live in southern NH. Thinking about a modern reliable cruiser with old school looks. The car has a 66 street hemi in it now. Most likely be selling that motor to help finance swap. It’s a 67 RT convertible clone that we love driving but want more reliable for longer cruises. Lack the facilities and limited skills to attempt. Also not as young as I used to be. Any info appreciated.
49C59729-67DE-472C-A64E-EF6EB0966E6B.jpeg
8F2BBB57-86E7-4A35-889B-282A814CC537.jpeg

I agree motor has its appeal. But with today’s fuel and sometimes hard starts. Just want reliable and better cruise ability. Getting ready to retire and want to drive it and not have to play with distributors and carburetors. I hear what you’re saying. But I just want to drive the wheels off.

If you have any kind of decent mechanic shop near you, the Holley kit will make it almost dummy proof to do the swap.

If you do go modern Hemi, 392 the way to go. Just gotta cut some big holes.

If you want modern "reliability" and ease of operation....then buy a modern car.
It's just my opinion, but I'm about over all this modern hemi-swapping everything.
Reminds me a lot of the tired, boring old "LS-swap it!" thing over in Chebby world.

Put it this way - at a car show, I'll sometimes spend 15-20 minutes perusing an old
ride that represents well what they were when they were built; I'll ask the owner questions
and want to hear the cars' story (history) and have genuine interest in the car, almost
as if it's an individual - because it is, of a mechanical sort anyways.

On the other hand, every dang time I'm at that same show and see a really cool old ride,
only to see a SBC or LS or 5.7 under the hood, I tend to keep moving.
The car has had its' soul removed; the owner did the car little justice in doing so.
Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the hobby, least to me.

Again, just my opinion - but I bet I'm not alone.

I agree motor has its appeal. But with today’s fuel and sometimes hard starts. Just want reliable and better cruise ability. Getting ready to retire and want to drive it and not have to play with distributors and carburetors. I hear what you’re saying. But I just want to drive the wheels off.
Why not install fuel injection with timing control and save carbs for future you will be very happy and few head aches

Why not install fuel injection with timing control and save carbs for future you will be very happy and few head aches
Fuel injection and GV overdrive gives me 8mpg in town n 10 on the interstate. A modern Hemi w o/d in the '66 'vert will probably close to double that. Not everyone can afford 8mpg. I can't. I go to about 1/8th of the stuff I'd like to because I can't afford to drive it.

Fuel injection and GV overdrive gives me 8mpg in town n 10 on the interstate. A modern Hemi w o/d in the '66 'vert will probably close to double that. Not everyone can afford 8mpg. I can't. I go to about 1/8th of the stuff I'd like to because I can't afford to drive it.
your right about that but the savings will take for ever to recoup.

If you want modern "reliability" and ease of operation....then buy a modern car.
It's just my opinion, but I'm about over all this modern hemi-swapping everything.
Reminds me a lot of the tired, boring old "LS-swap it!" thing over in Chebby world.

Put it this way - at a car show, I'll sometimes spend 15-20 minutes perusing an old
ride that represents well what they were when they were built; I'll ask the owner questions
and want to hear the cars' story (history) and have genuine interest in the car, almost
as if it's an individual - because it is, of a mechanical sort anyways.

On the other hand, every dang time I'm at that same show and see a really cool old ride,
only to see a SBC or LS or 5.7 under the hood, I tend to keep moving.
The car has had its' soul removed; the owner did the car little justice in doing so.
Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the hobby, least to me.

Again, just my opinion - but I bet I'm not alone.
I hear what you’re saying but if you read OP the car is a clone. Was originally a 500 with a 318. Soul was removed a long time ago. Had a tired 440 in it when I bought it and always wanted a hemi. With that being said. I also loved the performance and reliability of my 2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8. Not looking to win awards at car shows. Want to drive it’s wheels off and not get 7 mpg.

I hear what you’re saying but if you read OP the car is a clone. Was originally a 500 with a 318. Soul was removed a long time ago. Had a tired 440 in it when I bought it and always wanted a hemi. With that being said. I also loved the performance and reliability of my 2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8. Not looking to win awards at car shows. Want to drive it’s wheels off and not get 7 mpg.
There's quite the distinction between transplanting a period-correct drivetrain vs. a modern one.
I assume you'd be able to understand the difference...when it comes time to valuate one of our cars,
though - that certainly will reflect the difference.
I can't think of a better gauge of a vehicles' desirability than what people are willing to buy it for, after all...
and modern transplanted cars do not bring the market value of period-correct ones.
Not even close.

At first i thought the OP was joking when saying he wants to replace a 426 with a 392.
The 392 is a more than decent engine (drove it in a 2017 challenger) but i would way rather have a 426.

I'm reading that "i want a modern engine for reliability reasons" argument over and over again.
My cars have the original engines from 1969 and 1972 without a bunch of modern aftermarket stuff added to them and i have no reliability problems. They start up everytime and i've been doing a lot of 500 mile trips with my 72 cutlass. (And would/will do again anytime with confidence)

Can't comment on the reliability of the 426 street hemi though i would expect it not to be far off.

Last edited:
The old Hemi will be as reliable as any of the new engines, but you just have to feed it. They don't pass many fuel stops.

I can understand the appeal.
I do prefer the rumble and vibration of a classic Big Block. The shaking and the sounds just draw me in.
The reliability of a modern engine is tempting though. The fuel economy is great, the power is great and they run well even on mid grade gas. If the electronics don't fail, they are fantastic and hard to beat.
It is hard to get past the smooth idle though. The rumble is a great thing.

I agree with Kern.
Being totally hypocritical here because a have a 392 in my challenger. It runs great and has more power than I'll ever need (too much actually). My problem is simple:
My challenger with the 392 runs great but eventually the electronics will fail; I am no electrical troubleshooter. At that point, I'm screwed!!
My Charger with the 440 stroker has been running for decades and when something fails, I can fix it.

Auto Transport Service
Back