• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering 392 modern Hemi in my 67 RT convertible clone

Having just bought a 69 Cuda notchback with a 5.7, 5-speed OD automatic, coil over front suspension, rack & pinion steering, 4:10 gears & A/C, I can honestly say that the these modifications add a new dimension to an older car and this car is just a blast to drive. Most of you know that I have a few B-bodies that are all stock, but the Cuda is is just easy. Turn the key, it up and go. The car is a screamer & will still cruise at 75+ mph. Step an the gas and it roars as good as my street Hemi. I'm glad that I bought a car that has been all sorted out with miles on it. The car looks all stock & once I purchase and put on the 17" torque thrusts, it'll look just the way I want it to.

As I bought it...

68F30092-E567-4E50-9A24-02A03FB7ED7C.jpeg

A little paint work, grille repair and a few hundred bucks in scoops and decals later ....

157FE373-D783-4552-ADED-2318CD93A613.jpeg

IMG_7366.jpg

87E5971D-8ED4-4BF8-84AA-3BDE30F64D49.jpeg

The people who put this in did really did do a nice clean job.
DDD68078-F149-4E0E-962F-D27431F39FA7.jpeg

However, the person who paid for this (which was the original owner) basically gave the shop carte blanche and a blank check. To say that he paid dearly to "restore" the car and do the conversion is a gross understatement. I have the receipts and I was shocked when I totaled them all up.
1667651415023.png

Why? Would you step down to that just make changes to the elephant for more reliability.
Because nothing is more reliable than a Gen 3 for those of us that want no maintenance and get in, get 24 mpg and when you need it, it's there. I understand wanting a 426 hemi, if I wanted one, I'd get one. I didn't build mine and the guy that did is a pioneer in the field. In my eyes anyone can put part A to part B and make it run. Thinking out side of the box takes talent and that's how cars were created, forward thinking people. It's just a different opinion, I understand the purest, but I'm not collecting cars, nor am I looking for something to do. I have built cars from a pile of stuff in the corner and have no regrets, but, I'm done with that. I drive my car almost everyday and never think about anything but putting gas in it. I enjoy a little power and I have a need for speed. Any car that turning less than 2000 rpm at 80 mph, tilt, cruise control and air condition, is a car I'm looking for these days. Pull along side of mine at 70 or 80 mph and see what happens, I'll leave the A/C on!! LOL......... As always, just my opinion.

I can understand the appeal.
I do prefer the rumble and vibration of a classic Big Block. The shaking and the sounds just draw me in.
The reliability of a modern engine is tempting though. The fuel economy is great, the power is great and they run well even on mid grade gas. If the electronics don't fail, they are fantastic and hard to beat.
It is hard to get past the smooth idle though. The rumble is a great thing.
When was the last time your truck failed to do what you asked of it. Just imagine that in your Charger!!

I agree with Kern.
Being totally hypocritical here because a have a 392 in my challenger. It runs great and has more power than I'll ever need (too much actually). My problem is simple:
My challenger with the 392 runs great but eventually the electronics will fail; I am no electrical troubleshooter. At that point, I'm screwed!!
My Charger with the 440 stroker has been running for decades and when something fails, I can fix it.
My car is believed to be one of the first B-Body to be done, 2004-2005. It was a test mule, built by a car builder, for convection kits. It's been around the country and in 2009 Mopar Action did an article on it at the Mopar nationals. Other than an after market ignition switch, all is well. They now are plug and play and most problems are an easy fix. Just plug it in to a computer and it'll tell you what's wrong.

There's quite the distinction between transplanting a period-correct drivetrain vs. a modern one.
I assume you'd be able to understand the difference...when it comes time to valuate one of our cars,
though - that certainly will reflect the difference.
I can't think of a better gauge of a vehicles' desirability than what people are willing to buy it for, after all...
and modern transplanted cars do not bring the market value of period-correct ones.
Not even close.
I disagree with you. Depends on the car and who is purchasing it. You can never really get what you have into a restoration if you consider your time as money for the most part anyway.

I disagree with you. Depends on the car and who is purchasing it. You can never really get what you have into a restoration if you consider your time as money for the most part anyway.
You are, of course, certainly free to disagree with me.
That said, it appears you have totally missed the point I was making - which makes no mention of investment,
whether ones' own labor, materials, farming out of work, etc. - only what the effects on a given
cars' value would be by installing a modern drivetrain in it vs. a period-correct one.

Herer's my friend's car that he drives the wheels off. 2 Hot Rod Tours and 2 Route 66 Tours from Ontario, Canada.
PA130095.JPG
PA130094.JPG

PA130097.JPG

There are way too many variables swirling around classic car values and/or prices (not necessarily the same thing) to make blatant statements one way or another. You cannot say that installing a "period correct" drive train will yield more at auction over a modern drive train transplant or the other way around.

There are way too many variables swirling around classic car values and/or prices (not necessarily the same thing) to make blatant statements one way or another. You cannot say that installing a "period correct" drive train will yield more at auction over a modern drive train transplant or the other way around.
I totally agree! I've had some pretty serious offers for my Cuda, with a couple of real eye opener offers, that convinced me to raise the declared value on my insurance!

In my case I have no intention of ever selling my 5.7 hemi equipped Cuda and my grandson will end up with it. He will end up with a modern engine that is easier to maintain, and I seriously doubt that he would sell it either. I think his dad would have a fit if he even tried!

You read/hear this all the time that "restomods" (which is a very nebulous term) don't or won't draw the money that period correct or restorations will. Typically this is presented by those who do not like/want modified vehicles especially those with modern drive trains, however the realty is that it all comes down to the car, the build and the buyer. I think its pretty safe to say the most originally equipped 318 or /6 cars would bring more money with a G3 Hemi in them over stock and depending on the build some 383 and 440 cars might as well.

I hear what you’re saying but if you read OP the car is a clone. Was originally a 500 with a 318. Soul was removed a long time ago. Had a tired 440 in it when I bought it and always wanted a hemi. With that being said. I also loved the performance and reliability of my 2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8. Not looking to win awards at car shows. Want to drive it’s wheels off and not get 7 mpg.
Good on you. Nothing wrong with that swap. I don't listen to naysayers, and " purists". Your car your rules. Do what makes you happy, and me , i don't look for approval of others.

Auto Transport Service
Back