• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering selling my sure grip

swisherred

Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
I'm thinking about selling my 742 case 2.76 clutch sure grip to get a 3.23 open. Any thoughts on a fair price? Came from a good running 60k mile c-body. Given the roads and weather I have around me, I think a 3.23 open will do better for me.

Easy, Asking price $400 to $500. 742 case empty can bring $100-$150. Factory clutch type sure grip, new is in the $450 range,used $250 -$300. Just what I have observed at swap meets 'round here.

I have a 3.23 open I'd trade you but I'm here in Atlanta. 741 case.

Why not get a 323 open and take your suregrip from the 276 and rebuild if required and set it up in the 323 case?

*That's what I would do and have done... a few special tools but nothing too expensive*

I would keep the sure grip and drop the gears to 3.23 . as kernel sanders said

I've considered putting 3.23 gears in it but I live in the mountains and a sure grip wouldn't like all the turns all the time. An open would fit my driving better. I would like to stick with the 742 or 489 case though.

I've considered putting 3.23 gears in it but I live in the mountains and a sure grip wouldn't like all the turns all the time. An open would fit my driving better. I would like to stick with the 742 or 489 case though.

I’m sorry but this doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. You’d think a suregrip would be better for the potential conditions you might encounter?

The tires don’t spin equally on suregrip all the time and I can’t see excessive cornering wearing out a suregrip prematurely, it’s not like it’s a spool or anything.

I’m sorry but this doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. You’d think a suregrip would be better for the potential conditions you might encounter?

The tires don’t spin equally on suregrip all the time and I can’t see excessive cornering wearing out a suregrip prematurely, it’s not like it’s a spool or anything.
Sure-grips on icy or wet roads are bad news. If traction breaks the *** end can come right around on ya...in the mountains that can lead to a real bad day!

Last edited:
Darter6 is pretty much right on. You can also go back through our (or FABO) 'for sale' ads and see what similar setups have gone for.

Your screen name is funny.
In some instances, a "Swisher" is known as a Homosexual. That guy sashaying about, swishing to and fro....
If that is the case with you, that is a curious way to fly the flag here !
A properly setup Sure Grip is supposed to allow the differential to work, they are not locked tight.

I guess it matters where you grew up. I have heard my Uncles refer to a gay man as a "Swish" or "Swisher" back in the early 70s.
Yeah, I have heard of Swisher Sweets cigars. They are one of the few that smell nice when smoked. I don't smoke though.

limited slip rear axles are only "bad news" in icy or wet conditions if you don't know how to drive with them.

If you do, they are an asset.

swisherred,

I hear you!!!!! Grew up in Michigan's UP, far western edge, and spent years driving a 1969 RR through snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm you get the idea. The roads were almost always snow covered from late November to late May. My car was nothing special back then, it was only 7 years old and they were all over the place. Problem with the sure grip, at least for me even with skinny little snow tires on, was the crown of the road. Stop at a signal and give it just a little too much pedal and you just slid the back end to the right side and into the snow bank. When I finally got a Dart (with an open) I could spin that single wheel right through the built up snow and reach the blacktop, or start getting spinning traction like a drag car. The non spin wheel would just keep your spot in the lane. Anyway, spent a lot less time in the ditch. Wish I had both those cars back now :(

Auto Transport Service
Back