• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Console for 69 Charger - Had to resort to building one

Steve Belt

Local time
10:51 AM
Reaction score
First, my Charger is definitely not stock. When I bought it, it was a true R/T 440 car, but it was not numbers matching. So, I have been building a bit of a restomod. As part of that it has a custom interior including custom front seats and color matched front/rear seats. However, it desperately needed a console so I could have a couple cup holders at minimum. I searched for something to buy, but not finding anything that worked for me, I decided to try my hand at building my own. Keep in mind, I've never built a console before nor I have ever upholstered anything before. That said I jumped in. First I had to design what I wanted and since I'm an engineer and have a cad package called Fusion 360. I started designing the console so I could render it and see how it looked before I built anything. I took about 12 variations on the design before I was happy. I then worked out all the dimensions and assembly details in Fusion before cutting anything. Along the way I decided to add a custom wireless phone charger and designed that in Fusion and then 3D printed it. The wireless charger was about $14 from Amazon, the LED lighted Cupholders and USB power port were other Amazon finds. I also built a hidden brightness adjustment in for the led rings in the cupholders. Frankly the hardest part was finding the right lid supports to hold it open at the right angle and would fit in the console storage area when closed.

The original rendering and some pics of the build process and final result follow. Not perfect by a long shot but I'm reasonably happy with it. Thought I'd share to prove if I can do it, anyone can.

Untitled.png

20220731_183443.jpg

20220810_152741.jpg

20220810_152811.jpg

20220810_152833.jpg

20221109_181045.jpg

20221109_181101.jpg

Pretty spiffy, looks fitting in there with the seats.

Well done! That’s good work!

Auto Transport Service
Back