• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contact pattern

MTPOCKET

Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
Need feedback on contact pattern setting up 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears. Is this a good pattern, would greatly appreciate it if anybody would kindly give me some feedback on this. Thanks

IMG_0194.jpg IMG_0195.jpg

That is close - but I would try 3 thou more pinion shim. Your pattern is towards the crown (top) of the tooth. The patterns will never be the same but try and get the main contact points opposite each other if you can - slightly towards the toe and centred on the tooth.
See if you can get the drive pattern to go a little bit more towards the heel.
It is down on the toe at the moment.
I read somewhere the coast pattern should never be higher on the tooth than the drive pattern.

It will be fine.
You could try what Steve 340 said, and see what it looks like, as well.
What you have will be fine, though.

Looks Good to me! Make sure you set the backlash at the bottom
of your tolerance. I think it's around 0.005? Remember that as the
"Fuzzies" wear off of the ring and pinion, the backlash will increase.
Nice job.

I agree, very close. But I would try a touch more pinion shim.
Doug

How much backlash does that currently have? Before I re-shimmed, I’d see what a tad more backlash with the ring gear would do for it. If it centers it toward the heel a little, I’d run it.

Thanks for all the feedback. The backlash is set at 6 and the pinion depth is shimmed at .047 was .044 in previous pictures the preload is at 25 and I'm installing crush sleeve eliminator has a .011 shim add to the crush sleeve eliminator have attached some pictures for some feedback thanks for the replays and your time.

2420212.jpg 2420211.jpg

Agreed, that's pretty darn good. I've spent countless hours on a gear searching for perfection, I come close but never perfect but have yet to have one not run quietly and reliably.

Auto Transport Service
Back