• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Control arm bushings

69coronet440

Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
I am planning on changing out my control arm bushings. I havent taken the arms off yet and never have before so im not sure how it all goes together. I want to order all the bushings (upper and lower for both sides) Can someone tell me how many bushings I need for each side?

You might should get ball joints also it will be hard to separate ball joint front control arms without messing up the boot,don't think you can get just rubber boot.

Yup. There is a special socket that is used (although they can be removed and reinstalled without it. There is actually THREE sizes of this socket. One for A bodies, one for B bodies (and later A's I think) and one for C bodies (or is it D bodies)

These don't have a traditional male/female thread setup, and it IS possible to strip out an A arm when installing one.

Yeah, I know the uppers screw into the A arm. I have seen the special socket they sell but im hoping to just use a big adjustable wrench.

Can anyone explain how to remove the lower control arms?

Be careful when You reenstall, it is easy to stip out control arm threads, clean them out real good with wire brush and wash out with carb cleaner, or brake cleaner, then lube a little.

This might help u a little

Picture 426.jpg

Loosen the torsion bar adjusters all the way and the nut at the pivot point that holds the LCA to the K member. Remove the T bars by sliding towards the rear of the car (remove snap ring first). You should be able to pry the LCA out of the K member.

Thanks for the pic. That really helps out. I had no idea the torsion bar had to be slid back but now it makes sense. Thanks for all the info guys. Hopefully all this work will be worth it.

Just did this exact thing this last weekend. This thread would have been nice at some point, but I was able to figure it all out. Anyone got an easier way to pull those stupid bushings.

Auto Transport Service
Back