• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converter Stall Rpm Question

70rcode

Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
Need 727 T-flite converter Stall suggestion for 6500 rpm shift point with 426 hemi cammed for 5000--5500 rpm torque Curve peak & 4.56 gear...looking for hardest off line "hit" on wrinkle wall bias slicks...Thx for any experienced info...

sounds awesome , hope you find a racer, and would love a video of your car launching

Need 727 T-flite converter Stall suggestion for 6500 rpm shift point with 426 hemi cammed for 5000--5500 rpm torque Curve peak & 4.56 gear...looking for hardest off line "hit" on wrinkle wall bias slicks...Thx for any experienced info...
You should ask a moderator to switch this thread to racers hangout. Or start it there.

Thx, 67bel......It's my old '70 s (back in the day) race car I'm dusting off after long lay off & detuning for occasional cruise & some 1/4 mile action....Just for enjoyment & looking for hardest off line "hit" & still pulling thru traps converter Stall recommendations....

Sorry Fran,.... guessed it was a drivetrain & engine topic fit .....Let me restart.

Your best bet is to call some good converter shops and have one setup according to your specific combo. I'm currently using a 9.5" from PTC and it flashes instantly to 4000 rpm at hammer-drop but drives around as well as the 2400 street converter I used years ago which is about perfect for my use. A custom is typically a couple hundred clams more than an off-the-shelf unit but makes ALL the difference...especially with a car like you're building. IMO the converter is as important for performance as cam selection..

I usually end up dealing with PTC, but I start by calling these guys--
http://www.ptcrace.com/
https://www.ultimateconverter.com/
https://www.dynamicconverters.com

I moved it to the racers hangout....no biggie being in the engines and drivetrain forum but there are some that only visit the racer forum....

I would also call ptc. They will likely build our next one. I do like our dynamic 9 1/2". It moves the car well after about 2000 and flashes at 4200. We also have a 9" turbo action..its stalls at 5k and will do a wheelstand but it's old school loose, 60ft in the low 1.4s but cooks the fluid on the street, also seems like it isn't real effecient going through the traps.. its Probably the last race only convertor I will buy.
If your cruising and racing, spend the money and get one dialed in for your car.

Last edited:
Thx Cranky ! Looking for info on how a specific engines peak torque rpm May be related to a converters actual Flash stall rpm for max "hit" from idle....

I'm late to the game, but I'd call Dynamic (Frank Lupo). They have a really good product.

Auto Transport Service
Back