• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant Disposal

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
Why do municipalities make coolant disposal so difficult? With local shops not taking it, disposal has few if any options.

We have no problem in Maryland. County transfer stations have barrels to dump it in...free to the general public. I'm sure it's to help keep it out of the watershed, that would otherwise find it's way into the bay. Also, all the auto parts stores take it for free as well.

Well I just called Jiffy Lube and they said they would take it! This is a great thing. I don’t know if they will charge me but a least someone will take it! We all have a Jiffy Lube somewhere near us!

Unlike many recycling facilities, most AutoZone stores around the country accept coolant/antifreeze, transmission fluid, car oil, and gear oil, as part of the company’s recycling program. I've taken all of these to the one down the road from me. You sign a piece of paper stating how much you brought and take your container back home with you. I've done the same at O’Reilly Auto Parts.

Unlike many recycling facilities, most AutoZone stores around the country accept coolant/antifreeze, transmission fluid, car oil, and gear oil, as part of the company’s recycling program. I've taken all of these to the one down the road from me. You sign a piece of paper stating how much you brought and take your container back home with you. I've done the same at O’Reilly Auto Parts.
Not here in the Phoenix area.

If you know exactly what you have....

Propylene Glycol type coolant = biodegradable. This can go down the storm drain without any issue. Many modern coolants are this type. BUT YOU NEED TO VERIFY.
Ethylene Glycol(typical green) = NO. This is a petrol based product and should be disposed of at your local Oreilly, or similar auto store or lube joint. Or county drop off.

The kicker: NEVER mix these two together. If you want to switch from one to the other you need a major flush out of the system. This is why it is important to know what you are buying and typically this is why I avoid the pre-diluted stuff as the labeling on that is usually abysmal.
Also note: Propylene Glycol being biodegradable is way more prone to "growing stuff". It will get "gross" a lot faster then ol' green reliable will. Most would say with the green stuff you flush it when it starts looking off color because that means the anti-rust additives are "worn out". With the newer biodegradable stuff, you should deffinately follow the maint. schedule(or more) so you don't goop up the system.

Note: I find ol' green to be a far better product that modern times and our EPA have profoundly F'd with in order to make things worse. The new coolants may be less toxic, but that only matters (just like motor oil) if it is actually dumped into the environment instead of being taken care of. A case of "protecting us all" from some law breaking A-holes instead of dealing with the A-holes.

Have you ever considered contacting a radiator shop? After all, they do handle coolant when working on radiators ...Just a thought mind you...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

soak it up with a bag of oil dry, and put it in the trash

You can make Adirondack mouse traps with it. This is only if you have no pets that can get to drink it out of the bucket. Anyway put 2-3 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket, spread peanut butter down about 4-5 inches from the top around the inside above the antifreeze. Then put a thin board up from the side with screws that drop down over the buckets edge to keep it there so mice can climb to the top and fall into the bucket. The antifreeze preserves them from stinking up the joint. They can be in there for years with no odor. Again make sure it’s up away from pets.

Auto Transport Service
Back