• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 burping/bubbling help

josephqatarcarguy

Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
hey guys ,

i cant seem to get my coolant to stop burping/bubbling. i have tried taking all the air out ( cap off ,keep filling until it smoothens out ) there is waterflow as it pulls coolant when the thermostat opens up and yea . temperature is perfect (180 thermo) temps comes to 180 thermostat opens and temps drop down to 160) no overheating issue but cant seem to get the coolant to stabilize. Coolant is not mixing with the oil
440 engine with an aggressive camshaft (6-7) vacuum at idle with a fitech efi system.
could it just be the aggressive cam in her? engine runs perfect. what could it be?

thanks

Last edited:
hey guys ,

i cant seem to get my coolant to stop burping/bubbling. i have tried taking all the air out ( cap off ,keep filling until it smoothens out ) there is waterflow as it pulls coolant when the thermostat opens up and yea . temperature is perfect (180 thermo) temps comes to 180 thermostat opens and temps drop down to 160) no overheating issue but cant seem to get the coolant to stabilize. water is not mixing with the oil
440 engine with an aggressive camshaft (6-7) vacuum at idle with a fitech efi system.
could it just be the aggressive cam in her? engine runs perfect. what could it be?

thanks
Is this a new engine? Heater hooked up? Sounds like a head gasket issue.
Mike

Bubbling ang gurgling is usually a head gasket. (If it doesn't quit) fill the radiator to within a inch of the top of the neck. The level should stay there.

I would rent or borrow a cooling system pressure tester and pump it up when the engine is warm. If it looses pressure you have an issue.

Bubbling ang gurgling is usually a head gasket. (If it doesn't quit) fill the radiator to within a inch of the top of the neck. The level should stay there.
I thought so too but coolant is not mixing with oil , no temperature issues etc and it just started happening, been dailying her for 7 odd months Cap gave out and when I refilled the coolant noticed it

I’d go with the advice above and pressure test. There are also simple tests available to check for combustion gases in the coolant.

If your in Qatar I’ll put my money on it got hot and something let go/ cracked.

I’d go with the advice above and pressure test. There are also simple tests available to check for combustion gases in the coolant.

If your in Qatar I’ll put my money on it got hot and something let go/ cracked.
I am in qatar and the car runs with perfect temp , mechanical gauge , never over heated or aye could it just be air in the system? Should I try another cycle or 2 to clear the air ?

Not all head gasket leaks are coolant in the oil. Listen to the guys above. Sound advice.

Not all head gasket leaks are coolant in the oil. Listen to the guys above. Sound advice.
what are the other potential symptoms ? white smoke from exhaust ? rough idle? just getting the tools is hard here in qatar and takes long to ship out

Have you noticed any smoke/steam from the exhaust? I had a Chevy van one time that would leak coolant into the cylinder but only after it was pressurized. It would then not start unless I pulled a spark plug out to push the coolant out of that cylinder. It would be ok first thing in the morning but if I drove it 20 miles to a job then worked for 8 hours I would come out to it hydro locked because the coolant was in the cylinder. Weird thing is it never smoked/steamed but I was defiantly loosing coolant.

Have you noticed any smoke/steam from the exhaust? I had a Chevy van one time that would leak coolant into the cylinder but only after it was pressurized. It would then not start unless I pulled a spark plug out to push the coolant out of that cylinder. It would be ok first thing in the morning but if I drove it 20 miles to a job then worked for 8 hours I would come out to it hydro locked because the coolant was in the cylinder. Weird thing is it never smoked/steamed but I was defiantly loosing coolant.
no smoke , no signs of blown head gasket , will try to clear air and drive her till the pressure tester comes

Notes from a common doink:
Since most tests & issues have been addressed, I just have one thought. Did you drill a 1/8" hole through the t-stat flange to help bleed air & also is there a coolant recovery system on your car?

IMG_1968.jpg

I am in qatar and the car runs with perfect temp , mechanical gauge , never over heated or aye could it just be air in the system? Should I try another cycle or 2 to clear the air ?
Drill a small hole in the edge of the thermostat to allow any trapped air to be removed before the thermostat opens. Also you can loosen the temp sender at cold idle, letting a little coolant and air out, and bleed the system that way.

A low tech check is to see if you smell a hint of anti freeze at the exhaust

Auto Transport Service
Back