• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant leak at Timing Chain Gasket-Your opinions please for a noob

I would say the chain that was in there was a replacement one. Wouldnt hurt to change it anyway since you are there. I would spend more than 20 bucks on one though. That is chinese parts prices. Chinese parts will f you in tha ***. The pitting in the cover could be cured by a light layer of rtv along with a new gasket if it isnt too pitted up.
Not sure about using the later style cover. If it bolts to the engine, it may just be a matter of using the matching later style water pump.
Or, yank that thing and drop in a big block!
Oh, and you might want to rethink your choice of footwear when working in the garage. I would hate to see anyone get hurt dropping something on their feet. It can happen in the blink of an eye. Think how the balancer would feel if you dropped that on a toe.
stupid site won't let me upload my screen shots of the service manual, but you can find it online. it's worth having. you can check the slop in the chain and see if it's in spec if you need to save some $$. if you can afford it, just replace it while your in there. if you change the timing chain, use a good one. not chinese crap. if you use a later water pump / timing cover, the inlet will be on the wrong side. fixable, but annoying. clean the mounting hole and use a small dab of silicone on the threads that go into the water jackets. also just fill the pits with silicone, looks like there's plenty of meat to bolt it up.
where abouts in L.A. are you?
good luck

THanks Kursplat! Im near usc-downtown area. How about you? I havent had time to get any work on it, but im planning to go check out the welder on Sat finally.

Ok so I got the timing cover pits welded and grounded down, but it doesnt look like a spectacular job. The welder said he found a hairline crack that he welded in too. I am wondering if the excess aluminum that juts out into the channel is going to be a problem. He also said I should use a light coat of grey rvt. I've been reading about all the various rvt's; what do you guys recommend? Below is the before and after... IMAG0502.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0596.jpg
    IMAG0596.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 247
Looks like he did a decent job. If you use a quality gasket (Fel-Pro) all you need is some gasga-cinch or K&W Coppercoat to hold it in place. The other option is to not use a gasket and use RTV silicone instead. I don't recommend the silicone WITH a gasket as I've seen the gasket 'push out' when doing this. I prefer the gasket, but to each his own. As for the timing set, with a stock motor, go to your local NAPA store and buy one. It will last long after you've sold the car. Good luck. You're getting close...

THanks Kursplat! Im near usc-downtown area. How about you? I havent had time to get any work on it, but im planning to go check out the welder on Sat finally.
i work downtown, but live out in the valley, near the park where spring and fall fling are held. looks like the the cover came out nice

Looks like he did a decent job. If you use a quality gasket (Fel-Pro) all you need is some gasga-cinch or K&W Coppercoat to hold it in place. The other option is to not use a gasket and use RTV silicone instead. I don't recommend the silicone WITH a gasket as I've seen the gasket 'push out' when doing this. I prefer the gasket, but to each his own. As for the timing set, with a stock motor, go to your local NAPA store and buy one. It will last long after you've sold the car. Good luck. You're getting close...
napa definitely. i've seen the gasket walk with silicone, but always with people laying a big ol' bead down. i always add a very thin layer, both sides, all the way around. coppercoat will work fine if you have that. clean the threads on the bolts best as you can and a little brake cleaner on a shop rag to clean out the holes in the block. you'll want to use something to seal the bolts that go all the way through the cover too. i like a small wipe of black silicone on the threads. just to fill in a few of them so you don't get any leaks there too.

i work downtown, but live out in the valley, near the park where spring and fall fling are held. looks like the the cover came out nice

Ahh I know that commute...I actually work at UCLA so I dont have to go over the hill; thank goodness.

napa definitely. i've seen the gasket walk with silicone, but always with people laying a big ol' bead down. i always add a very thin layer, both sides, all the way around. coppercoat will work fine if you have that. clean the threads on the bolts best as you can and a little brake cleaner on a shop rag to clean out the holes in the block. you'll want to use something to seal the bolts that go all the way through the cover too. i like a small wipe of black silicone on the threads. just to fill in a few of them so you don't get any leaks there too.

Thanks all! I got the fel pro gasket kit, but i went with a comp cams timing set. Hopeful to get the timing set this friday or sat.

Spend a few extra dollars and buy a cloyes or equivalent chain. Timing will satay in spec longer. A good chain will stretch less.You dont have to worry about the marks if you dont move the cam or bump the starter. just slip it on. You only need to line up the marks if you think it has jumped a tooth and is out of time. Just read last post. sorry,but glad you did it.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the oldschool Indian head. gasket shellac

318 engine.jpg
Hey all,

I want to thank everyone for chiming in and helping me out! I actually got everything back together, but I realized i was a bit outta my league when putting everything back together and had to call on a family friend for back up. He's an old hot rod mechanic and I towed it to his garage and we put everything back. i learned a lot putting it back together with him which was pretty cool and it was great using his tools. I also realized I got get my own toolbox in order!

Unfortunately I got an overcharging issue i have to tackle next and ill open a new thread if I run out of options. Thanks again guys!!!

Thanks all! I got the fel pro gasket kit, but i went with a comp cams timing set. Hopeful to get the timing set this friday or sat.

Good. I was gonna hammer on you for the "cheapest one" remark. All that work and you wanted the cheapest one. Glad you didn't do it. Good job, too.

Auto Transport Service
Back