• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant temp control

Doorkicker

Local time
3:57 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,

My car seems to maintain a decent temp while moving (180-190), but starts to warm up significantly and pretty fast when I come to a stop. Typical muscle car, but it makes it almost impossible to drive around town.

I have a Frostbite 3 core radiator (FB142) and 175 thermostat. I tried running with a lower thermo and even without a thermo and it actually runs hotter... the 175 seems to be the best. I have a 15" stainless flex-fan and a custom alum. shroud that's pretty tight to the blades at the midpoint. I was thinking I may need a larger fan. I also have a push electric fan that's 1000 CFM that I have turning on when it starts to heat up (195), but I'm doubting this is doing anything and suspect it could actually be blocking the airflow.

Anyway... there ya go.. what do you think? How can I improve temp when stationary?

P.S. Trans oil is currently running to the radiator, and it gets fairly hot... I'm running roughly 800 lbft/655 hp... I'm installing a remote trans oil cooler tomorrow. I'm suspecting a bit of heatsinking into the rad from the trans. I could be wrong.

I would pressure test the cap for starters.

Hi All,

My car seems to maintain a decent temp while moving (180-190), but starts to warm up significantly and pretty fast when I come to a stop. Typical muscle car, but it makes it almost impossible to drive around town.

I have a Frostbite 3 core radiator (FB142) and 175 thermostat. I tried running with a lower thermo and even without a thermo and it actually runs hotter... the 175 seems to be the best. I have a 15" stainless flex-fan and a custom alum. shroud that's pretty tight to the blades at the midpoint. I was thinking I may need a larger fan. I also have a push electric fan that's 1000 CFM that I have turning on when it starts to heat up (195), but I'm doubting this is doing anything and suspect it could actually be blocking the airflow.

Anyway... there ya go.. what do you think? How can I improve temp when stationary?

P.S. Trans oil is currently running to the radiator, and it gets fairly hot... I'm running roughly 800 lbft/655 hp... I'm installing a remote trans oil cooler tomorrow. I'm suspecting a bit of heatsinking into the rad from the trans. I could be wrong.
Post some pictures of your set up. Might be a big help for getting the right idea on how to correct it.

What temperature does it heat up to and does it stay there until you start moving?
as soon as I stop (or even driving slowly [10mph] through the neighborhood back to the house) it shoots up consistently to 200, which is far as I've let it climb before moving again (or shutting off), and as soon as I start moving it starts to drop. It take a while to get back to the mid 190's because of the heat build up. With enough time it starts to stabilize around 185. Keep in mind it's been a bit cool out, about 65 degrees.

as soon as I stop (or even driving slowly [10mph] through the neighborhood back to the house) it shoots up consistently to 200, which is far as I've let it climb before moving again (or shutting off), and as soon as I start moving it starts to drop. It take a while to get back to the mid 190's because of the heat build up. With enough time it starts to stabilize around 185. Keep in mind it's been a bit cool out, about 65 degrees.

IMO at 655hp, 200 isn't bad at all. Before doing anything I'd lower when the electric fan starts and see how that goes. My fans (on my cuda) turn on at 180 and the temp stays there until I'm in stopped at a light or slow driving in which it goes to 200 and stays there until I move.

Post some pictures of your set up. Might be a big help for getting the right idea on how to correct it.
Here are some pics. You can se the fan, shroud, and front pusher. The fan is about 1/2 from the edge of the shroud, about half way in, about 7/8's from the radiator.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

IMO at 655hp, 200 isn't bad at all. Before doing anything I'd lower when the electric fan starts and see how that goes. My fans (on my cuda) turn on at 180 and the temp stays there until I'm in stopped at a light or slow driving in which it goes to 200 and stays there until I move.
Good call... I'll to that exactly. I have no issues with the electric fan running, why wait... Right? I have a monster alternator and nothing other than the sniper using electricity. So plenty to spare (in day time:).

I think the $64,000 question for me to the group is... what is too high? when should I start to get concerned? 220?

Any idea on the Engine Oil Temps ? Did they climb during the Dyno runs ?
The oil temp was steady at about 215. But, I still had break-in oil and a crap load of assembly lube and grease in the case. I will retest. Great question.

If it steadies out at 215-220ish and doesn't keep climbing, you're OK. Do we like seeing it, no. Get rid of that aluminum shroud n fan, get an 18-19" direct drive 7 blade fan. Get a repop factory plastic shroud that has curves, is molded. I'm running 496" 610hp/670tq in 120°+ AZ heat w a/c. 19" direct drive fan w factory shroud. Highway 176-185°, after 30+ minutes of Highway, pull into parking lot and let sit running w a/c on for 10 minutes, temp climbed to 222° and not any higher. Still shows at higher end of normal on factory gauge.

Several things pop out at me.
1-Have you verified the temperature readings you are getting are accurate?
2-Belt tension? It looks deep in the alternator pulley groove. Is it slipping?
3-Radiator size. You should have a 26 inch core if you are making that much HP.
4-Fan, I hate flex fans. I doubt that fan is pulling enough air.
5-Timing what timing are you running at idle and low speeds?
6-Was that radiator designed to cool that much HP.?

You aren't wrong.
ALL of your transmission heat is going straight into the cold side of the rad. Great for the trans, terrible for the motor.
Plumb the new cooler in separate from engine cooling.

If it steadies out at 215-220ish and doesn't keep climbing, you're OK. Do we like seeing it, no. Get rid of that aluminum shroud n fan, get an 18-19" direct drive 7 blade fan. Get a repop factory plastic shroud that has curves, is molded. I'm running 496" 610hp/670tq in 120°+ AZ heat w a/c. 19" direct drive fan w factory shroud. Highway 176-185°, after 30+ minutes of Highway, pull into parking lot and let sit running w a/c on for 10 minutes, temp climbed to 222° and not any higher. Still shows at higher end of normal on factory gauge.
Amazing... ok. I will say this, I looked for a repo factory shroud and couldn't find one... AT ALL... I call everywhere and several junkyards. So I made one.

Your tapping into my other thought... my fan might be too small.

You aren't wrong.
ALL of your transmission heat is going straight into the cold side of the rad. Great for the trans, terrible for the motor.
Plumb the new cooler in separate from engine cooling.
I should have it installed and tested before the end of the week - I'll definitely report back here.

Auto Transport Service
Back