• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Engine Fan Options?

dodge68charger

Local time
10:58 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys Got a 383 In The Superbee With an Aluminum Radiator and Running A Stock Shroud. Its a Stock Engine.

What Fan Setup Would You Recommend?

17 or 18 Inch?

Should I Run a Fan Clutch?

Thank You

I run a 18 inch 7 blade flex fan. With a 26 inch 3 core radiator and a shroud. It keeps temperatures in check.

I used to get the flex fans off 5th. Ave., Diplomat, etc. They work fine. I don't like clutch fans.

I run a “215” 7 blade 18” fan with a thermal fan clutch. It has OE quality and appearance, fits the stock fan shroud and most importantly, maintains a safe operating temperature. I fought cooling issues when I first finished my GTX, the fan and a proper shroud had the greatest impact on cooling system performance.

IMG_4618.jpeg

Last edited:
I run a “215” 7 blade 18” fan with a thermal fan clutch. It has OE quality and appearance, fits the stock fan shroud and most importantly, maintains a safe operating temperature. I fought cooling issues when I first finished my GTX, the fan and a proper shroud had the greatest impact on cooling system performance.

View attachment 1581765
BS do you remember what make or part # that was? looking at aftermarket fans and some don't look great.. gonna use one with a hayden short clutch..

On the wagon I recently purchased, the PO put in an aluminum radiator which is thicker than the prior one. This made it necessary to put in the 2947? Hayden shorty clutch to pull fan/clutch away from the radiator. Have good gap there. However...the fan is way too far out of the shroud. He cobbled the shroud mounting as the radiator had no provisions so there is a large gap between the two units there also. For some reason the blade tips got modded too. I'm in the process of correcting the shroud issues by adding some metal to it to get the fan in the hole and close up the gaps. I'll be on the hunt for a fan too at the Spring Fling next weekend.

IMG_4749.jpeg

IMG_4750.jpeg

IMG_4754.jpeg

IMG_4755.jpeg

IMG_4756.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg

On the wagon I recently purchased, the PO put in an aluminum radiator which is thicker than the prior one. This made it necessary to put in the 2947? Hayden shorty clutch to pull fan/clutch away from the radiator. Have good gap there. However...the fan is way too far out of the shroud. He cobbled the shroud mounting as the radiator had no provisions so there is a large gap between the two units there also. For some reason the blade tips got modded too. I'm in the process of correcting the shroud issues by adding some metal to it to get the fan in the hole and close up the gaps. I'll be on the hunt for a fan too at the Spring Fling next weekend.

View attachment 1644166

View attachment 1644167

View attachment 1644168

View attachment 1644169

View attachment 1644170

View attachment 1644171

I just orderd a hayden clutch and a derale 18" 6 blade fan.. will work for now.. i won't have a shroud so no biggy.. If my math is right i will only have bout 5/8" between the fan clutch and radiator.. should be ok

BS do you remember what make or part # that was? looking at aftermarket fans and some don't look great.. gonna use one with a hayden short clutch..
It was a Six Pack/HEMI fan purchased off eBay

Auto Transport Service
Back