• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Core Supports, Radiators and Fan Shrouds on a '73 Road Runner

ncrobb

Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
My '73 small block RR was ordered with N51 Maximum Cooling so it has the 28" radiator (P/N 3673028) in it. I want to replace it with a new radiator but so far, I haven't found a direct fit replacement. I am thinking to just go with an aluminum 26" model, but I am wondering what changes between the 28" and a 26"? Is the core support the same? I would imagine a fan shroud for the 26" radiator will be needed. Any suggestions for a quality, direct fit, 26" aluminum for a small block '73 b-body? I would like to keep it factory looking if possible - I have seen some aluminum radiators with stamped upper sections. If its bare aluminum, can it be painted black to mimic factory look?

If originality / factory looking is your main thrust, why would you not have the original radiator re-cored? Otherwsie, yes you will need a 26 inch shroud for a 26 inch radiator, and yes you can paint an aluminum radiator black.

If originality / factory looking is your main thrust, why would you not have the original radiator re-cored? Otherwsie, yes you will need a 26 inch shroud for a 26 inch radiator, and yes you can paint an aluminum radiator black.
Thanks. I actually took the original to a local radiator shop who has been known for good work in the area for many years. He didn’t recore it but he flushed it out and did whatever else he thought it needed. It’s leaked at the upper hose inlet joint ever since. I am kinda at the point where I want to take it apart and put it back together without a stretch of down time.

Is the core support the same?

Is the core support the same?

Sorry, I don't know for sure if you can bolt a factory 26-inch radiator into place of a factory 28-incher. I would guess not, but I would ask for mounting dimensions from the supplier and then measure to see if it will fit your core.

Auto Transport Service
Back