• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct 2 barrel carburetor for 1962 Plymouth Belvedere

belvyfever

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
Hopefully someone out there can get me on the right track. I have a 1962 Plymouth Belvedere with a poly 318/2 barrel Carter B&B carb. No tag on carb. It has manual transmission and manual brakes. Does someone here have what they know is an original stock 1962 w/318…and can tell me what the proper carb. is? It’s not running right, can’t seem to adjust air/fuel mixture screws up front to do anything to improve. Recently removed automatic choke and choke pull off and installed manual choke. That helped some but it’s still not right. Want to get a new rebuilt carb but have the sneaking suspicion this is not the correct carburetor for the car. Would hate to buy same carb. if it’s not correct. Thanks, Bob

IMG_4938.jpeg

IMG_4937.jpeg

IMG_4936.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

Last edited:
Bob, Everything you always wanted to know about your Carter BBD:
Carb #=BBD-3240S
Float level=9/32" from top of float to top of bowl casting
Acc. pump=5/64" between vent washer and top of casting
Mixture screws=one full turn out from bottom, plus or minus 1/2 turn
Idle speed=500 rpm
Fast idle speed=1400 rpm
Standard main jet=120-213S
Step up wire=.021"x.024"
Mike
Taken from the FSM.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you looking all of that info. up for me. Good stuff to have. But…does my carb look like the 3240S that you’ve mentioned as the correct one for 1962 Plymouth small block v8?

That is the correct carb. Here are pictures of my BBD from my 62 318 Poly. Only difference is mine is a 727. Choke dashpot in the manifold. Aircleaner has a ring that clamps onto the airhorn collar.
IMAG0183.jpg
IMAG0184.jpg
CAM00218.jpg
CAM00219.jpg
CAM00253.jpg

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you looking all of that info. up for me. Good stuff to have. But…does my carb look like the 3240S that you’ve mentioned as the correct one for 1962 Plymouth small block v8?
Yes. I would recommend you reinstall the auto choke setup if the exhaust cross over is flowing properly (gets hot quickly-they can plug up with carbon if engine is burning oil).
Mike

You might have a vacuum leak if idle adjustment screws have little effect.

Thanks guys…that helps a lot. I appreciate it. Yeah, something is just not right. Last comment by Dave is exactly what I’ve been thinking. Always thought best way to find vac. leak is to spray WD-40 around intake/carb. area…if idle picks up there’s the leak. I did so…but can’t find anything. Also, I have sneaking suspicion that crossover is plugged because when I had auto. Choke in place it took forever for choke to fully open up/idle to settle down. I’ve got to do some more digging here but it’s nice to at least know I have the right carb. on it. Been looking around…on eBay…etc. There’s a lot of variations of same carb. Some don’t have choke pull off mounting holes…some don’t have vac. Nipple on back for choke pull off even though there’s mounting holes for the choke pull off. Hard to understand. But at least now I can buy a rebuild kit for THIS carb because I know it’s correct. I’ll check again for vac. Leaks too. I remember right after I bought car it was spewing oil from rear intake seal. I cleaned real good and wiped some high temp RTV in there to get rid of leak. Perhaps there’s still some leak there but why it didn’t show up when I spray WD-40…?? Also if I’m to go back to auto choke I’ll have to pull intake anyways and clean out crossover. Thanks again guys. I really appreciate your help.

Bob

Auto Transport Service
Back