• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct factory radio for a 1969 Super Bee

Not necessarily. I go off my memory from those days, not books like many do. My memory could be off, but then again, they installed what ever was on the assembly line .
Not necessarily. I go off my memory from those days, not books like many do. My memory could be off, but then again, they installed what ever was on the assembly line .
I don't know if these number/letters are of any significance for Identification purposes however of the right side of the radio the numbers 11148 are stamped in. On top there is AAPJ1/4 written and the 1/4 is pretty faded no not even sure it is 1/4.

Okay, so I took 10 minutes to browse the '68 and '69 parts manuals. My part # 2649 963 isn't even there so lost on it as "2649" numbers seem to be only in the alternator section. When I restored my Bee, I removed my pioneer and put back my original "CHRYCO" radio from the parts shelf back in. At the time we had much discussion about it and the jist of it was that Chrysler Canada had some trademark or deal that '69 "ordered and sold to Canada cars" had to have CHRYCO radios in them. I know 100% this is the radio that came in my car.

Per the USA parts manuals that I got from Moparsaver.

1968 cars have different part numbers for radios, for the Belvedere and Coronet lines. Which would explain the Plymouth and Dodge faceplates in 1968 cars.

All AM radios
2884 060 = R vehicles (Belvedere/Sat/Roadrunner/GTX)
2884 062 = W vehicles (the Coronet line)
2884 064 = W vehicles and was a "deluxe" AM radio and it was only in W cars.

2884 064 = W car line only and again the model 389 AM deluxe radio as above.
2884 635 = both R and W car lines and was an AM/FM radio, so I assume as R413/Scott said, probably had Chrysler on it so it worked in both car lines.
2884 634 = both R and W car lines and was the standard AM radio
2884 636 = both R and W car lines and was AM w/stereo tape

Okay, so I took 10 minutes to browse the '68 and '69 parts manuals. My part # 2649 963 isn't even there so lost on it as "2649" numbers seem to be only in the alternator section. When I restored my Bee, I removed my pioneer and put back my original "CHRYCO" radio from the parts shelf back in. At the time we had much discussion about it and the jist of it was that Chrysler Canada had some trademark or deal that '69 "ordered and sold to Canada cars" had to have CHRYCO radios in them. I know 100% this is the radio that came in my car.

Per the USA parts manuals that I got from Moparsaver.

1968 cars have different part numbers for radios, for the Belvedere and Coronet lines. Which would explain the Plymouth and Dodge faceplates in 1968 cars.

All AM radios
2884 060 = R vehicles (Belvedere/Sat/Roadrunner/GTX)
2884 062 = W vehicles (the Coronet line)
2884 064 = W vehicles and was a "deluxe" AM radio and it was only in W cars.

2884 064 = W car line only and again the model 389 AM deluxe radio as above.
2884 635 = both R and W car lines and was an AM/FM radio, so I assume as R413/Scott said, probably had Chrysler on it so it worked in both car lines.
2884 634 = both R and W car lines and was the standard AM radio
2884 636 = both R and W car lines and was AM w/stereo tape
Very good information. Last night our son’s and some other customers were out at Todd’s who owns Kroozn Metal. Has done quite a few high end body work jobs. Plus he did work on the cars for all of us.

He dug out a thumb wheel radio and asked me if it was aftermarket because it said CHRYCO and was in a 69 Plymouth B.

I told him it was most likely from a car sold in Canada. I have a couple of 65 CHRYCO radios. My memory is still half assed good as far as I can remember.

If I ever get the car together I will post pictures of it showing his beautiful body work. He also has worked on other brands but loves his Road Runner and 70X that he wants to finish. Threatening to slow down in 2 years. Wants us to get our cars finished so they can all be displayed together.

Well I've googled enough that I'm probably as confused as anyone and just gonna walk away.. LOL

2649 963 appears to be a hens tooth and supposedly is a '69 Dart radio, yet the one in my '69 Dart says "DART SOLID STATE"! LOL

Another single mention that I found for 2649 963 application is '69 Plymouth Valiant. But that one I don't own... so carry on! Chrysler Solid State, by the parts book, appears to be correct.

Well I've googled enough that I'm probably as confused as anyone and just gonna walk away.. LOL
2649 963 appears to be a hens tooth and supposedly is a '69 Dart radio, yet the one in my '69 Dart says "DART SOLID STATE"! LOL
Yup, an issue that had zero significance back in the day. I recall the Dodge and Chrysler names on radios. "Dart" ?? Now THAT'S something I don't recall !

My ‘69 GTX has Chrysler Solid State on the faceplate (AM/ 8 Track)

Auto Transport Service
Back