• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cost to rebuild a 383

99ss

Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
Whats a ball park cost to rebuild a 383. decent heads.. not looking to set a world record but not looking to be avg either

It depends on how much of the work you can do yourself. I can do light cylinder head work at home. More if I had the equipment. I will probably have around 2500 in mine....but I found a block completely machined and standard steel crank for 100 bucks. That saved me a lot. Plus, I have a set of heads that do not need guides. More saved. THANKS BOB! (superdart383). So it really depends. You can also make "decent" heads out of any of the stock iron ones and I mean ANY of them. They can all be made to flow around 600 HP give or take, it just depends on what you want to spend...on heads especially. I am still thinking about going with aluminum heads. GOnna have some tied up in port work with the iron ones....but see, I'm on the fence because I have new valves, springs and all for the iron heads I have now. So I will probably finish them out and put the aluminum heads on the next big block.

Whats a ball park cost to rebuild a 383. decent heads.. not looking to set a world record but not looking to be avg either

There is a big range between "not average" and "world record". Where are you in there? Are you rebuilding this or having someone else do it?

Well, I was thinking about assembly myself, machined locally by someone in Portland. Maybe some aluminum heads.. Edelbrocks are cheap enough for me to buy

Auto Transport Service
Back