• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coupe or Hardtop?

100% of the responses say stay the hell away. Heed their advice and save yourself a five (or actually a ten) hour trip.

Listen to yourself ! You want a RR.... that's a RM21 (coupe) or RM23 (hardtop) *PLYMOUTH*... if it ain't that, it ain't !! You got a hobbled up car along with hobbled up documentation along with a hobbled up seller... Case closed.

NMVTIS report indicates title in VA, 2006, which is current title I see. Previously titled in KY, 2004. It states a 1970 RR, not stolen or junked, but regurgitated vehicle specs that vin would have as standard equipment, though does state 4spd, but not Dana rear, but the standard 8.75 with 3.23 gears. I do not know the gears in the current Dana, yet.
A VA PPI I just bought confirms titled in VA 2006, says: 1970 Dodge, passenger carrying, 2D HT, green (which is the color, Lime Light Green). That could be a typo because the previous owner from the VA owner had it titled in KY as a 70 Plymouth Satellite hardtop.
The current owner, an auto dealer in TN, bought the car recently to resell on his lot. He stated that the previous owner restored the car 7 years ago.
My money is on it being a 70 Satellite with a RR VIN. That's just a guess ofcourse, but from the title trail make sense to me. There is no doubt in my mind that you can get the car registered in Alabama, but the down the road liabilities and value are going to be hard to overcome. If you're buying the car for what it is now, place your value on the upgrades and there value and not what the real thing is worth.

Thank you all for your valued opinions. You knew what I already suspected. I already cancelled the deal, received my small deposit back, and informed the seller what I knew and what I highly suspected. He didn't sound all that surprised and said he has 20 other buyers. Well, I wished him good luck with that, and hopefully a mopar guy can spot the warning signs as well.
However, the old adage hails true yet again, if it sounds too good to be true...

Thank you all for your valued opinions. You knew what I already suspected. I already cancelled the deal, received my small deposit back, and informed the seller what I knew and what I highly suspected. He didn't sound all that surprised and said he has 20 other buyers. Well, I wished him good luck with that, and hopefully a mopar guy can spot the warning signs as well.
However, the old adage hails true yet again, if it sounds too good to be true...

I think that was a good choice. It is easy to get all wrapped up in the excitement of buying a classic car, but especially with a classic car, you should take your time and wait for the right one. There are others out there, and legitimate and nicer ones too.

Hello all, long time watcher first time poster.
I'm looking at buying a 70 Roadrunner, non-matching 440, 4-spd, Dana 60. It's a beautiful car, restored 7 years ago. Several issues cause me to pause before I drop some large coin, so perhaps I can get some advice prior to pulling the trigger Monday.
First, there is no fender tag. I've asked the seller, who owns a auto sales business and not a Mopar guy, to contact the previous owner who restored it to see if he still has it.
Next, no build sheet, that the seller is aware of. When I make the 5 hr drive to see it, I will look in all the usual places, but don't have high expectations. I also asked seller to contact previous for that as well
Next, the VIN, on the title, is RM21N0G, which makes it an original 383, coupe, St. Louis build.
I've asked the seller for a pic of the VIN on the dash, as well as radiator rail, and trunk gutter numbers to match. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get it, but can see for myself when I see it in a few days.
Next, the title states Dodge, not Plymouth. Not a big deal, since he's a auto seller, he can provide an affidavit stating it's a Plymouth vice Dodge. Alabama doesn't issues new titles for that old a car anyway, you just keep the title you have, but I would like the registration to reflect the correct make nonetheless.
Finally, what gives me pause is that the VIN, RM21, is a coupe, but the car is clearly a hardtop...rear roll down windows, no post or flip out windows, so it's an RM23. Has anyone seen this before? No fender tag nor build sheet as mentioned to confirm or deny. I will have to confirm the radiator rail and trunk gutter serials with VIN. I suppose it's possible someone converted from coupe to hardtop, but unlikely. Perhaps when I see it I can tell.
The car is super nice, with nice drivetrain, but I want a RR not a clone, especially for the chunk of change I may drop for it, and if I ever resell.
Any thoughts?
This is not the car for you. There are too many inconsistencies. It is easy to transfer a VIN during restore when the dash is out. It will be interesting to hear what the VIN codes from the Radiator support and trunk gutter. I would suspect in VIN is from a totaled car and the actual car is stolen. There are many documented real cars available.

My money is on it being a 70 Satellite with a RR VIN. That's just a guess ofcourse, but from the title trail make sense to me. There is no doubt in my mind that you can get the car registered in Alabama, but the down the road liabilities and value are going to be hard to overcome. If you're buying the car for what it is now, place your value on the upgrades and there value and not what the real thing is worth.
Hey Jerry, but the VIN says it's a Dodge.

I'm looking at buying a 70 Roadrunner, non-matching 440, 4-spd, Dana 60. It's a beautiful car, restored 7 years ago. Several issues cause me to pause before I drop some large coin, so perhaps I can get some advice prior to pulling the trigger Monday.
First, there is no fender tag. I've asked the seller, who owns a auto sales business and not a Mopar guy, to contact the previous owner who restored it to see if he still has it.
Next, no build sheet, that the seller is aware of. When I make the 5 hr drive to see it, I will look in all the usual places, but don't have high expectations. I also asked seller to contact previous for that as well
Next, the VIN, on the title, is RM21N0G, which makes it an original 383, coupe, St. Louis build.
I've asked the seller for a pic of the VIN on the dash, as well as radiator rail, and trunk gutter numbers to match. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get it, but can see for myself when I see it in a few days.
Next, the title states Dodge, not Plymouth. Not a big deal, since he's a auto seller, he can provide an affidavit stating it's a Plymouth vice Dodge. Alabama doesn't issues new titles for that old a car anyway, you just keep the title you have, but I would like the registration to reflect the correct make nonetheless.
Finally, what gives me pause is that the VIN, RM21, is a coupe, but the car is clearly a hardtop...rear roll down windows, no post or flip out windows, so it's an RM23. Has anyone seen this before? No fender tag nor build sheet as mentioned to confirm or deny. I will have to confirm the radiator rail and trunk gutter serials with VIN. I suppose it's possible someone converted from coupe to hardtop, but unlikely. Perhaps when I see it I can tell.
The car is super nice, with nice drivetrain, but I want a RR not a clone, especially for the chunk of change I may drop for it, and if I ever resell.
Any thoughts?
Fender tags and build sheets are a must for investment grade cars. Driver quality for which this is, is not a big deal. but the VIN 21/23 coupe/ hardtop and the Dodge on Title is a Red Flag. sounds like a chop shop car.

Any thoughts?
I would say it's a clone

Auto Transport Service
Back